AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Self pick strawberries work, how about self pick beef??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

DC4020
Posted 10/8/2015 07:56 (#4829059 - in reply to #4828200)
Subject: Agree with Ben...

Central Ga
denice.r - 10/7/2015 18:46

Not sure the average person would be able to tell any difference in the caves standing in the pasture or feedlot. Wouldn't hurt to try. I know a butcher/lamb buyer who does basically the same thing with lamb. You come pick out one and he will butcher it, mostly ethic buyers. I am also unsure how many people want to see the face of which one they are eating. Even when I have a lamb butchered for myself I pick a plain white face so I can not really distinguish one from the next - yes I am a softie, maybe it is a woman thing:)

It would also depend on how close you are to a bigger town/city. Advertise local grown or home raised or pasture raised or hormone free... Lots of "Eat Local" web sites where you can list your farm for free.

I agree with Ben. It is not just a woman thing.....I used to have a rainbow herd and I found it easier to identify with individual cows and develop favorites. Makes it hard when it is time to cull and sale, knowing they are going to slaughter, especially after they have served you well and made you money for 10 or more years.. Have an all black herd now and although I do have some favorites I do not find myself so attached to individual cows....
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)