AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting corn with a notill drill?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

greenswede
Posted 10/7/2015 15:17 (#4828036 - in reply to #4827860)
Subject: RE: Planting corn with a notill drill?

Urbandale Ia, (but originally from SE IA)
Back in the late 80's when alternating strips of corn/soybeans was a momentary fad, I had a seed customer attempt it. He had a 20' 3pt JD drill w/10" spacing and would put beans in one side & corn in the other (with meters blocked on that side to create 4-30" rows) and got alternating 20' strips of each. (I presume he had put a solid divider in the middle of the drill, usually there were holes to allow cross flow)
He always wanted the smallest seed size I could get...rounds in the 35#/80K range. It was conventionally tilled ground. He was a very nice guy, but stepped to the beat of a different drum and I don't think his financial success or failure hinged on having a beautiful stand. Which is a good thing, because it usually looked like crap as you can imagine with just using feed cups as a meter & no accurate depth gauge wheels. (I didn't bother putting up our brand of seed signs along the road, LOL)

Another fellow I knew, about the same time period mounted the seed hopper/metering portion of an old IH Cyclo 400 on the front of a JD 750 drill (with dolly wheels) and ran the delivery tubes to the various openers for 30" spacings. My opinion was it looked like a cobbled up mess & the extra weight seemed to cause them to get stuck a lot more often if it happened to be a wet spring with seepy spots in the field. That setup didn't last too long either....

Somebody mentioned the JD 1535 drill with individual seed meters and Max-Emerge openers in a previous post, that would probably work just fine.

Edited by greenswede 10/7/2015 15:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)