AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

High tensile question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

IL cow man
Posted 10/7/2015 20:17 (#4828355 - in reply to #4827355)
Subject: RE: High tensile question

Buffalo IL
Are you talking high tensile barb or smooth high tensile? You need to check state laws for height on perimeter fence and barb wire fence requirements. I believe ours is 52 or54 inch height. Built pretty much all 5 wire high tensile for perimeter. The 6 inch off the ground is a joke with high tensile if you are trying to keep coyotes out unless you can keep it hot with out shorting the fence out in wet conditions. 4 wires work fine without the bottom and lets cattle eat the grass out from under it better. High tensile only works as good as the charger is capable of keeping the fence hot. High tensile and hot chargers give you one problem with new born calves: when they get shocked they lunge threw it and then wont come back through it. I've caught some calves 1/2 mile away to bring them back to momma. Good old 5 strand barb wire prevents this problem or woven wire is the best of course. I have a lot of two wire fence with the bottom wire 26 inches and top 36 and calves will get back to momma with no problem. I'm not a big fan of not insulating all 4 top wires and keeping them hot, because if for some reason your hot gets connected with the neutral wire your fence is shorted out. Steel posts and insulators and hot wires doesn't work either. There are no plastic insulators made that can't be knocked loose and the fence shorted out on the steel post. Sorry about my long response.

Good cows don't loose calves to coyotes, but they can make it difficult to do tag or do anything with their calves. I'm removing most of my bottom high tensile wires when I get a chance on my 5 wire fences.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)