AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beginng Farmer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Partsdude15
Posted 10/6/2015 09:15 (#4825982)
Subject: Beginng Farmer

Good Morning Everyone,

I know this topic has been discussed on here before but I am looking for some advice or help. I am a beginning farmer looking to find a little bit of ground. I am currently working with the FSA office and my bank which both have been very helpful to me. The issue we are fighting is finding land. We are unable to find land to rent or buy because of prices. There is cash rent around me going for 400+ dollars an acre or land selling for 9000+ dollars an acre. I just recently went through a major family issue with land. The land we have been renting for 20+ years went up for sale without giving us a chance. The land was purchased by my great grandpa and I would of been the fourth generation farmer. As most of you know in order to use a beginning farmer loan on land there has to have certain conditions. The first one is the land can not be purchased at auction and be bought at a productable price. My families land was appraised at 3000 dollars an acre for producing ability, guess what the land brought 9,500 dollars an acre. I don't care what anyone does to that land, they will never be able to pay that kind of price back. The bank and FSA are beyond themselves on how to help me but have not lost hope. The other issue we are fighting is the older generation not willing to let go or help the young generation. I am from east central South Dakota and the average age of land holders in South Dakota in 2014 was 58 years old. The old generation received help from family or friends to help them get started but are not willing to help someone else. The big concern everyone seems to be worried about is PRICE. I am looking for some advice or help with the challenge I am facing. I am also wondering how many more people are facing the same challenge I am.

Thanks in Advance
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)