AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mineral debate and questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Beefbiz
Posted 10/6/2015 08:11 (#4825848 - in reply to #4825260)
Subject: RE: Mineral debate and questions

all over Iowa

I'll be less of a naysayer, but not much.
Organic trace minerals can be a very good thing, but mainly pre-calving to pre-breeding time.  I would not feed organic TMs to cows on corn stalks unless I know I had a major health or reproductive problem.
Urea can be very good (and cost effective) for cows on corn stalks. Urea in a free choice mineral might look good on the computer but in reality is not a good idea - they can't get get enough intake to make a difference on stalks and urea in the mineral can reduce intake (dry urea is not palatable).
A probiotic such as aspergillus can also be a good idea for rumen health, but generally used on a stressed rumen.  Cows on stalks should be in mid gestation and have little to no stress on their rumen.  If protein levels in the total diet are high enough, you will get all of the digestion you will need out of the fiber of the corn stalks.  
I don't like one year round mineral, because nutritional needs change and forages change.  But corn stalks is the time to use your most basic mineral.
I believe protein supplementation will more than pay for itself on corn stalks because it improves digestibility - in practical terms you can run more cows on the same acres, or you can run the same cows more days on the same acres, because you improve fiber digestion and the resulting energy yield from the stalks; you will also take cows off stalks in better BCS.  I like lick tanks as a free choice protein option because they separate your protein and mineral nutrition and are more cost effective than tubs.  Hand feeding is also an obvious option if you have the time.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)