AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

White mold observations.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

IowaMark
Posted 9/2/2015 20:52 (#4766979)
Subject: White mold observations.

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
I didn't want to hijack the white mold thread below so thought I'd start a fresh one. I know it's been talked about a lot this summer but it's definitely more prevalent this year around me. Just some observations I've seen in my fields.

I. Variety definetly does make a difference, I will be a lot picker this winter picking my choices for next year.

2. Tilled ground on my fields has more WM then where no tilled into standing corn stalks. Where I deep disc ripped some ground last fall is some of my worst WM soybeans.

3. I've got a field where a building site, tress, cattle yard was tore up this spring. I field cultivated it and planted it to soybeans. Surprisingly for as wet it was this spring the beans actually looked pretty good all summer. I no tilled in standing corn stalks into the virgin ground. You can tell excactly where the old field vs. the new ground is. There is WM showing up in the virgin ground and there is virtually zero in the no till ground.

I didn't keep track of all the rain we had in July and August but it's been a bunch. I bet it's been over a month since the soybean fields have had dry dirt on top. As you know there is saying beans don't like wet feet. And I'm a firm believer WM loves wet soils.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)