AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cover crop question for the veteran's
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

swopefarms
Posted 9/1/2015 21:50 (#4765402)
Subject: cover crop question for the veteran's

We had about 50 acres of seed corn that was harvested last week so I decided to try a cover crop instead of letting weeds grow. In the seed agreement we have to work the ground after they harvest to germinate and seed that was left in the field. I thought it would be great to spread oats and radishes and rape seed with the fertilizer so we had it blend and spread two days ago. I went to disc it in and tried to run very shallow, just to cover seed, but the ground was so hard and stalks were balling up in disc so I ran deeper than I wanted to get enough dirt to cover stalks and seed. We went with 45 lbs to the acre of the cover seed . I felt pretty good about it and thought I should get some awesome growth by first frost, until I got to talking with others and they say I went way to deep and the seed won't work like I wanted it to at all. I've never tried it before so I'm new but please tell me I didn't just screw up and waist time and money! I figured as thick and as early it would come up no problem even if it was deep. The field is irrigated so I can water it but I don't want it to crust over and pack in either. Any advice or comments from experienced cover cropers would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)