AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1st yr Integra yield monitor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/29/2015 07:02 (#4758945 - in reply to #4758315)
Subject: RE: 1st yr Integra yield monitor

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Thud - 8/28/2015 18:04

If calibrating for corn , with a 6 row head, would it be acceptable to make a pass , at say 4mph, picking 2 rows ( gets you low flow rate), a pass at 4mph x 4 rows ( mid range flow) and a final pass at 4mpx6 rows for the high flow rate? My brother always does the calibration loads ( he runs the combine) , sometimes he can get it dialed right in, the next time it can be off by 10%. Corn seems to be more consistent than soys. If the above method would work, how about a pass at 1, 2,3,4,5,6 rows at a time? Seems like it would be easier to maintain a set speed , and vary the number or rows, than it would be to stare at the monitor and try to maintain an even flow flow.

Making a pass with a 6 row taking 2 rows should get history for the low rate, 4 rows for a larger rate and all 6 rows for the high flow rate. As stated that should be a consistent ground speed. Going with all 6 rows at various purposely slow ground speeds should accomplish the same thing. Whether one method is easier than the other is debatable.

Again the goal is to harvest each moderately sized cal load at a consistent flow rate and then repeat the process at a different consistent flow rate. Since this is often difficult with a large cal load a moderate size is suggested. The system apparently uses the average flow rate for that load to fine tune the cal number for that flow rate.

Using your idea of 1-6 rows at a time should be workable and might yield more "history" for more flow rates. Personally I don't go that far.

Concerning doing a calibration for each variety: This could certainly be done but I don't feel it is worth the effort to redo the calibration unless there is a dramatic difference between varieties. Some operators have a calibration for corn taken early with a high moisture content and another taken later when the moisture is less. I know some operations that have regular and "waxy" corn. Some of these operations have a calibration set for each type of corn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)