AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to Precision- PF3000 in a combine?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

W-IA FMR
Posted 8/28/2015 11:31 (#4757713)
Subject: New to Precision- PF3000 in a combine?

Bare with me, this is a multi sided question and I have little experience with precision.

What would you recommend for an operation that has yet to step into the Precision Ag world? I currently live away from the family farm but will be transiting back soon and its my job to start incorporating precision into our operation (Dad is old school and had no interest in figuring it out him self). We are No-Till contour hill farmers, so auto steer is not a must for us.

For our combine, we have a 2007 JD 9500 for the time being (For its age, its in great shape and paid for). It has yield monitor cables in the cab but i have no clue what he had installed There is a fair priced (around 2K) Ag leader PF3000 with GPS, sensors, wiring, and all other parts (a lot of which are still new) for sale here in the classifieds but would this be worth our time with a system this old? We really do not want to stick a bunch of money into a machine that we MAY or MAY NOT trade here in a few years but mapping yield would be great. Also, this spring we plan on adding row shutoffs on our Kinze pulled by an 8220, keep this in mind.

If you were in my shoes, would you....

1) purchase the ag leader PF3000 for the combine to get us by and a separate modern system for the planter
or
2) Go without a combine monitor for another year, set up the planter,and try to incorporate it into the 9500.

Thanks for any input!

Edited by W-IA FMR 8/28/2015 11:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)