AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chinese ethanol imports...hey Sat!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jpartner
Posted 8/29/2015 13:15 (#4759469 - in reply to #4759247)
Subject: RE: Looking at the Data...

JonSCKs - 8/29/2015 09:13
Sugar Cane production in Brazil is seasonal.. for all the hoopla about how efficient cane ethanol production is.. you got to consider the mechanics..  It works like an alfalfa processing plant.. When ready.. you chop the sugarcane and truck it to the plant.. the size of the plant is constrained by the amount of acreage of cane raised around it within an economic distance of trucking the unprocessed cane..  Not sure what the agronomics are of cane.. but I would assume that you would rotate it's production.. as we do here in the US with our corn model.. corn.. beans.. corn.. wheat.. sorghum.. corn.. alfalfa.. etc... Not sure how they do it in Brazil..??

I can't speak to how the Brazilians do it, but as I understood it, the cane in Florida is expected to be harvested for three years from one planting.  Then it will either be removed and planted with a different crop for a season, then likely back to cane.  For example, they could harvest the cane in the early winter, plant corn on it in February, harvest that in May, and plant cane again in September. 

The farm manager I talked to said if they had their way, their rotation would be cane for three years, one crop of corn, back to cane.   They found out in the high priced corn era, that corn in their rotation, greatly helped their cane production.  And they are "itching" to plant corn when it becomes profitable again. Another side effect of 8 dollar corn....

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)