AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Herniated disc
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

myron
Posted 8/27/2015 08:32 (#4755745 - in reply to #4755562)
Subject: RE: Herniated disc

Spring Grove MN
It depends. I had it in my right shoulder and arm. I had severe pain in the shoulder and back form the nerve pinching from the herniation. The cortisone shot in the back was instant relief and I was back to normal for 4 months. It gradually got worse. I went in almost a year later and wanted another because my left should and arm were now showing symptoms. I had to have the MRI again first. My herniation had shrunk at that time. I had the shot again with NO relief this time. I had it again 2 weeks later with no relief. So, for me, the shot only helped if the herniation is putting enough pressure on the nerve.

If you haven't done so, get a referral to a physical therapist. After 2 visits I was given a cervical traction tool (a neck stretcher). I used this 3 times a day for 10-15 minutes and got huge relief. I use it occasionally now as my symptoms are almost gone. In talking to the surgeon, I would have needed 3 vertebrae fused c5-,c6, c7. I did not want to loose that range of motion. At the time my insurance would only pay for fusing. There are replacement discs out that I would have tried and not lost motion. The traction has helped me a lot but it is a slow process. At this point I am no longer considering surgery. My left shoulder and arm have now been diagnosed as rotator cuff tear and 80% tendon tear. I will have surgery for that this fall after harvest.

Good luck-these are hard decisions and the pain sucks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)