AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

renters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

paul the original
Posted 8/25/2015 09:22 (#4752190 - in reply to #4751995)
Subject: RE: renters

southern MN
In many states this is a very regulated deal, and renters learn to play the game. Electric and such utilities cannot be turned off during the winter months, so renters have learned that its a free ride until spring. Enter some sort of long term payment plan over the summer and make one or two payments and they again need to supply you, then when cold weather hits no need to pay the old or new bill, get free electricity over winter.....

You can't evict for not paying utilities, or not easily, in many of the colder states either.

Electric utilities and coops want to get paid of course, so they bill the land/building owner.

It becomes very difficult to rent something out in a the country and ever hope to break even. It is a losing proposition.

The fella is playing the games, he has more spending than income, and no sort of offers will work out with him. He will always be behind, and he will always look at an offers as; how can I get more free out of this deal? He won't look at this as the original poster intends, as a leg up to try to get ahead.

The renters view of getting ahead is how to stay afloat while I spend more than I make, who's bill can I avoid this month?

As a landlord you need to look at it from their side of the deal. They will not see the offer of free gas the way it is being offered. They will see it as a gift to use until its gone now I can spend that $200 on a car payment, and thrn go back to cranking up the electric heaters because those also are free heat.

It will not be used as a stepping stone to getting ahead.

Owners and renters view things very differently; this owner is trying to make an owner type of offer and that will fail. The renter has a different mindset.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)