AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Windows 10 Spying on you
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 8/22/2015 06:59 (#4746712 - in reply to #4745906)
Subject: RE: Windows 10 Spying on you

No one said that.

For me, I have gotten to where I ask myself the following question:

Do I want this information about myself to be publicly available?

If I don't care, then I'll use a device connected to the Internet. If I do care, I will not.

I see the potential of FaceBook in particular being massively abused someday. In the wrong hands it could be used to target people based upon race, age, sex, political or religious affiliation, etc.

Likewise, I can also see it as a useful communications tool until that day comes.

It appears to me that Windows 10 is similar to a "forced Facebook". There is a lot of information that it will collect if you let it and there is a lot of information it will likely collect even if you don't let it. All that information will be owned by Microsoff just like all of the FB info is owned by FB.

However, like FaceBook, Windows 10 is a tool. It allows you to work with your computer and especially across multiple devices in ways that were not nearly as convenient as with former versions of Windows.

I guess I'm interested in having a Surface Pro 4 (or whatever they'll call the next one) as my main computer (via a docking station), laptop and tablet whenever it comes out and I'm interested in filling that out with a Windows 10 phone. For my purposes those two devices will do everything I need from a business perspective and I guess I don't care what anyone knows about my business.

From a personal standpoint such as my religious affiliation and my political affiliation, I'm not sure I should be hiding those things anyway.

So what is it really that I have to worry about using a Windows 10 device as long as I use it as a tool rather than an extension of my life (just like Facebook)?

I am not taking the time to go through all of this in order to pick a fight. I genuinely want specific and concrete examples of how my data might be abused through me using Windows 10.

I also wonder, Is Linux or Apple a truly viable alternative for me? For some things, yes. I do a lot of spreadsheet work but honestly, I'm migrating that to the cloud anyway and so far, Excel seems like the best cloud based solution for my purposes, allowing simultaneous edits from two individuals. Other than that, I use precision ag software and as of yet there are no serious precision ag contenders that are available on OS X or Linux. I don't foresee that happening anytime soon either so what real choice do I have after support for Windows 8 is eventually dropped?

Other than those things, a computer is used for the following purposes in my world:

1. Communication (email, composing documents, social media) and as far as I'm concerned, once that information flows through the Internet it's out of my control anyway so if it's sensitive, I'll find another way to communicate

2. Photo organization and editing. I just can't really see a way I need to hide that.

3. Financial records. Again, I can't see how Microsoft or any other major company will care about my farm business records. The risk of them being exposed in a way that will hurt me is far less to me than the benefit of electronic organization

There is nothing else that I do with a computer so I guess I just don't understand the concern. Am I missing something?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)