AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

help me with something here..feeding cows?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

johnwayne360
Posted 8/4/2015 06:46 (#4715260)
Subject: help me with something here..feeding cows?

near dyersville iowa
I have a fairly large amount(for me) first cutting round bales that got musty. They were baled an hour before a rain. seemed dry at the time..lol. I also have some pretty nice second and third crop hay. And hopefully will make, and probably wrap, some very nice 4th crop yet this fall. Also plan on baling corn stalks..and maybe wrapping a few of those with whatever wrap I have left just to see how it works. I will need to feed some stalks just to have enough to make the winter. So..would it pay to rent/hire a bale chopper to mix these ingredients? Im thinking a simple mix of one bale 1st, one bale stalks, and 2 bales of the better hay. I only have 40 cows, dont really want to spend the money on a vertical tmr. But im not sure if it will be cost effective. Renting a bale chopper here costs $10/bale plus you provide the tractor. And I would have to find a cheaper feed wagon to deliver the feed. But I do have h bunk to feed in. What say you? Will I save enough on feed cost to have the bales shredded?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)