AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"I told you so"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 8/1/2015 08:02 (#4710700 - in reply to #4710243)
Subject: RE: "I told you so"

It can certainly help to have someone bringing other considerations to the decision. Sometimes it's just the obvious question like: "has that ever worked before?" On years like this where my yields are likely not so good (but I really don't know), it's difficult to keep emotion out of the marketing plan and my wife, not having a farm background (but she does now), is good about sticking to a plan or at least making adjustments slowly.

Marketing is it's own animal to deal with, but it's also part of lots of different decisions made in a business. How other decisions are made can increase or reduce pressure on the performance of your marketing plan. Especially after the past few years I think many of us think we'll make up for shaky decisions with the inevitable market run up to $7. It worked just fine several years.

From the times running a farm in the 90's it was clear that controlling costs and even considering that even cheap parts means lots of time spent installing those parts made a difference on how important that potential 10 cent price increase (huge run up then) was 'needed'. I've unwound several projects more or less due to being too expensive to have it sit around unfinished. With higher prices I could afford to keep it around until timing was better or I had help that better fit the project.

So while it's great to hit homeruns in marketing, being pressured to hit homeruns is not so good. Bottom line is a good marketing plan probably starts with a better business plan (ie. willingness to adapt to changing economic conditions).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)