AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"I told you so"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Maizeing
Posted 8/1/2015 00:01 (#4710482 - in reply to #4710327)
Subject: RE: "I told you so"

Ontario's middle east
The ladies seem to be having a lot of fun learning a bit about the grain biz. There are some pretty sharp cookies involved and some cases they do the farm books but really have no understanding of the grain receipts. The goal was not to make them master marketers but to help them gain some understanding of how the markets work. It turns many watch our website multiple times per day but we think there businesses would be better off if they had a little better understanding of what some the numbers should be telling them. They should know how to react to inverted cash markets and more grain in the bin then the cows can eat, sorta situations. I also believe women are more risk adverse and I think that can help with our selling process of using target orders to sell at a profit. Time will tell whether it makes a difference or not but I don't think it can hurt. I know some very good farmers who despise marketing so giving up at least part of those duties doesn't seem like a bad idea. Now funny story: Its Nov 2012, corn is trading, IDK exactly, 25 over stupid or something like that. John (not his real name, to protect the guilty) calls me up says, "what do I do with this corn, my wife is barking at me to sell it, she says, you know, we ain't ever made money like this on corn(we had good yields that year), Pete says it usually doesn't pay to leave corn in commercial storage blah blah blah". Me, "well she makes some good points, you grew it to sell it didn't ya?" John,"well yeah, but.....the US is going to run out of corn and I just read it's going to be $10 corn by spring". I probably quipped one of my charming one liners like, "they feed $2 corn with wheelbarrows and ten dollar corn with thimbles". Which brings us to awkward silence and he says, "well I don't know what to do". I'm surveying the situation thinking this guys hasn't sold any of a good crop and has a lot of risk on the table but only sees the land of blue skies and opportunity, so the only way I see to get half this corn sold is to respond," the easiest way to solve this is to let her market half and you market half and problem solved. He says that's a great idea, relays the message to his boss and she says , "sell mine!" Everyone is happy and he goes on his way. I go to work, getting our position balanced and relaying my evil merchandising ploy to the ladies in the office when the phone rings. It's John, he says "sell mine too, there's not a chance in hell I'm gonna listen to her say I told you so".
Now she wasn't any grain market wizard by any means but she was objective, saw the risk, and she was decisive. Having someone like that in your camp is huge asset when the background noise gets unbearable. Something worth considering.

Edited by Maizeing 8/1/2015 00:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)