AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody want to see what a bumblebee nest looks like?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

bshannon
Posted 7/31/2015 15:55 (#4709773)
Subject: Anybody want to see what a bumblebee nest looks like?

I speared a last year's bale off the end of the row to feed today, and as I was taking the string off, noticed what I thought at first glance was some fungus, mushrooms due to the wet weather. Surprise, a nest of bumble bees. Fortunately I had just looked, not poked it.

(IMG_4197.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_4197.JPG (216KB - 500 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Funacres Daughter
Posted 7/31/2015 16:36 (#4709817 - in reply to #4709773)
Subject: RE: Anybody want to see what a bumblebee nest looks like?

Texas
Interesting picture.

Thanks for sharing.
BSchroeder
Posted 7/31/2015 17:06 (#4709850 - in reply to #4709773)

Devils Lake, ND
Kill it with fire.
Ernie
Posted 7/31/2015 17:33 (#4709882 - in reply to #4709773)

North End I-15
Interesting , never knew they nested like that .
rebuilder
Posted 7/31/2015 18:38 (#4709985 - in reply to #4709882)

Bourbon,Indiana

Those that I have found in the ground look the same.

Posted 7/31/2015 19:26 (#4710082 - in reply to #4709985)

new prague mn
they are good pollinators
greasegun
Posted 7/31/2015 19:36 (#4710098 - in reply to #4710082)

W.C. Mo.
And nasty when POed.. Nothing worse than raking on an open tractor and the rake stirs up a nest of mad bees. One moment you are absent mindedly going along and the next those suckers are hitting you from all directions.
farmer45
Posted 7/31/2015 19:56 (#4710126 - in reply to #4710098)

Washington Co Ks
I was working for a neighbor putting up hay. There was a nest in the barn where we were climbing up through the bales into the hay mow. we had been through there most of the day not knowing that they were there. The neighbor's young son went up after me and must have hit it. The bees came up into the mow and were also in the opening. The only way out was to go down the elevator. It took some time to talk the little guy into getting on the elevator and following me down. The whole time I was getting stung. I don't remember how many stings I had mostly on the arms but do remember that there were five under my watch. The guy doing the baling carried pills with him and he gave me some. I kept working but didn't get much sleep that night as my arms really were hurting.
Funacres
Posted 7/31/2015 21:44 (#4710319 - in reply to #4710098)

Texas

In my younger days I was pushing brush with an open station dozer when I "found" a bumble bee nest.  I bailed off the dozer and couldn't get back to it for about four hours to shut it off.  The dozer was stopped right on top of the nest and each time I drove back to shut it off I would retreat.....   quickly!  

From that day forward I dreamed of owning a dozer with an air-conditioned cab.  Finally bought a new one in 1979.  That was the year I went to Heaven!!!!!!!  I still remember the smell of the new paint and how quiet that CAT cab was.  I could push brush all day and never get dirty.  I felt guilty the first time I pushed brush all day in the rain with the wipers running.  Ahh, the good old days. 

Rusty6
Posted 7/31/2015 21:24 (#4710271 - in reply to #4709773)

S.E. Sask.

Interesting pic. Good to see there are still a few out there. Without the bees we won't survive either. The wasps and hornets are a little less friendly though. I've been stung twice in the past two weeks. Normally I'll let them live but the yellow jackets in the overhang of my porch were a little too close and I have been using the rainbow (water ) vac to suck them up and drown them as they come out of the break in the metal corner of the porch siding. 
I also ran over a ground nest of hornets while raking hay on the open tractor today . Guess they were not too smart as I never noticed them until the next round. Saw what looked like a grey rock laying between the swaths and I was almost going to stop and pick it up, until I saw the angry wasps circling it .  

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 7/31/2015 21:36 (#4710298 - in reply to #4709773)

just a tish NE of central ND
Ran over a hole in the ground with a hay rake years ago and had a scary bunch of those bumblers streaming out and hovering over me on a M Ih tractor once. Got lucky and never got stung....
PatCMO
Posted 7/31/2015 23:37 (#4710460 - in reply to #4709773)

Pilot Grove, Missouri
When I was about 12, we were hauling hay. Dad accidentally stepped on a nest. I'll never forget the sight of him dancing around in the field trying to get his pants off, as a couple bees had made it inside his pants leg. Patrick
DC4020
Posted 8/1/2015 07:39 (#4710665 - in reply to #4709773)

Central Ga
That's a new one on me.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)