AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Transect Data from different cut height - Q for Torn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

rcg
Posted 8/1/2015 00:44 (#4710498 - in reply to #4710269)
Subject: RE: Transect Data from different cut height - Q for Torn

torn - 8/1/2015 14:24
rcg - 7/31/2015 15:10

Combine is CR8090 (twin pitch) with 12mt - 40' D65 head..

Ok. On its face, this seems to make at least some sense. However, I wouldn't have thought you'd see quite that variation in yield. The NH flow sensor is a linear (or single-point calibration) sensor, meaning you calibrate it at a single flow rate. Near that flow rate, you can expect very good accuracy if your calibration has been performed correctly. However, as you move away from the calibrated flow rate, you will see accuracy dropping off, as the software has to project what the incoming force values mean. Both Case IH and New Holland combines are promoted as being designed for "grain on grain" threshing. This means that grain kernels are primarily rubbed against other crop or MOG material in the rotor cage, rather than against the rotor itself, or the concaves. In theory, this means that a full machine would thresh more effectively than a machine that is partially empty. More effective threshing should equal a higher yield. Have you done a kill stall and performed grain loss exercises with this machine, checking for header loss, rotor loss, and sieve loss? If you find more rotor/sieve loss behind the 300mm swath, it would lend additional weight to the theory that the machine is threshing more effectively/efficiently when it actually has more non-crop material (MOG) for the rotors to work with. Another idea - can you cut two passes, one at 100mm and one at 300mm, but vary your speed to keep both passes at the same flow rate that was used for your weight calibration? This should result in consistent results from the flow sensor (i.e. eliminating error due to a flow rate that is different from the calibrated rate), and should help provide evidence to either support or contradict the idea that you get better yield when you keep the machine "fuller". This is very interesting. I'm curious to hear other theories.

Yes all my preconceived ideas says the data is wrong but I'm trying to understand & find out why & where it's wrong ...... if it is.

I know & understand about the flow sensor working best with a consistent flow on it & a consistent load throughout the machine.  

Another idea - can you cut two passes, one at 100mm and one at 300mm, but vary your speed to keep both passes at the same flow rate that was used for your weight calibration? 

I doubt if this could be achieved as the machine load will vary - & theoretically grain loss & capacity will also vary - as you would be under the same HP (load) at 300mm if you're trying to keep the same flow.  Maybe making the disparity even greater - don't know.

Have you done a kill stall and performed grain loss exercises with this machine, checking for header loss, rotor loss, and sieve loss?

Yes I've done many of these & consider the machine to be running at or near, maximum efficiency - when the conditions allow.  I had this app developed http://harvestcalc.com/page3.html to aid operators in making better decisions in regards to loss & harvester efficiency.

Attached is the flow results from the same transect - as best I can from the data - as well as the flow attribute map & engine load map.  The lower cut (100mm) is 80.69% flow of the higher cut (300mm) & the engine load of same is as expected.

My mind & experience still says something is not quite right with all this ..... so I'm interested to find out where it's wrong ..... if it is!

(Church Paddock 2014 spot data with flow1.jpg)

(Flow map m3 per second.jpg)

(Engine load map.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Church Paddock 2014 spot data with flow1.jpg (52KB - 101 downloads)
Attachments Flow map m3 per second.jpg (100KB - 95 downloads)
Attachments Engine load map.jpg (97KB - 91 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)