AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is bindweed a good cover crop?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

okpanhandle
Posted 7/30/2015 18:59 (#4708326 - in reply to #4707424)
Subject: RE: Is bindweed a good cover crop?

Guymon, OK
LJCF - 7/30/2015 08:52
So the field is greening up with mostly creeping jenny and I am inclined to spray it again this late summer or fall, but is it really doing that much damage? At least something green is out there and maybe doing some benefit soil microbe wise???

You bet it's doing damage, and I promise you're not getting any benefits from leaving it. It's robbing future crops of water and nutrients, and does seem to have a strong allelopathic effect on the soil. I know of ground that won't hardly grow anything but bindweed. Kill it, and when it comes back kill it again. Fall is a good time to spray as it's trying to store up as much energy as possible before winter, but if it's bad now don't hesitate to take action. I've had good luck with fall applications of glyphosate, 2,4-D, and dicamba. It won't permanently kill it, but it will take longer to come back in the spring.

I spent three years working on some bindweed-infested ground and got the big patches down to scattered clumps, but I still couldn't grow much of anything where the original patches were. The drought certainly didn't help, but the bindweed sure exacerbated the problem. I lost that ground last year, and I'm sure it's a solid carpet again. Seriously, don't let it go.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)