AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is bindweed a good cover crop?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

LJCF
Posted 7/30/2015 08:52 (#4707424)
Subject: Is bindweed a good cover crop?

SWSD
OK, yes I am sorta joking, but I had a large section of field I couldn't plant this year because it was too wet, weeds got out of control and I burned it all down with a Gramaxone, 24D mix that worked well. Was considering a cover crop to try to keep some soil health but my weed mess left a pretty heavy nasty residual cover to plant into, plus in my part of the world cover crops are sort of "on the edge" moisture wise (in my opinion anyway). Planting in late July or August around here is sorta risky.

So the field is greening up with mostly creeping jenny and I am inclined to spray it again this late summer or fall, but is it really doing that much damage? At least something green is out there and maybe doing some benefit soil microbe wise??? - or am I just kinda stupid? Other option is till it all up this fall, but I don't like open soil over the winter, plus I think bindweed kinda likes tillage.

I am planning on sunflowers next year and think I might just let this stuff go and deal with it next spring - bad idea?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)