AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Live view of grain dryer monitor?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 7/28/2015 08:58 (#4703993 - in reply to #4701375)
Subject: RE: Live view of grain dryer monitor?

southern MN
Surprised there hasn't been more replies to this.

I don't know much.... I just got a Flir FX camera. A little pricey. Very very easy to set up. However to use it past a month with Internet viewing takes a monthly subscription. As well they move a lot of data on the Internet, if you have limited data it is something to look into.

If you want easy, it will cost you in fees and data flow.

You can throw together your own setup with a $90 camera and router, but then you get to do the setup on making your computer or smart phone able to find the camera and pick up the signal - a bit of a setup headache since most of us are on dynamic Internet connections which means both the camera and your device are on constantly moving addresses to try to find each other. I'm real fuzzy on how that works.

There are wireless camera that need power or a 12v battery to run on, but will connect to a wireless router. I wonder if there are issues with the power effects of a drier setup that might cause interference.

And there are wired cameras that need power and a cable from the camera to your router. This would probably be cheaper and more rugged if your camera location happens to be close to your router.

If you don't need to go out on the Internet, but the camera and your computer/smart phone will all be reaching the same local router, then you can set up a pretty simple local network without involving the Internet at all.

I'm really dumb on this stuff, want to learn more myself.

On a side note, I find it interesting most of the per packaged security systems actually send the video to their own servers and back again, so as to really open you up to some hackers being able to see what you have the camera trained on. I'm not sure that's the net effect most are looking for in security!

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)