AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best way to learn modern equipment operation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Kneedeep 2011
Posted 7/26/2015 09:50 (#4699991)
Subject: Best way to learn modern equipment operation

North Mississippi Delta / Alabama Gulf Coast
My story;
Carpenter by trade, now a working manager for a major Home remodeling corporation in one of the local divisions for 16 years, I'm 58 . Keeps me jumping and running to manage crews and close jobs. Good pay and benefits but has become the only reason I am still there is can't find anything else to match pay (Specialty product line not many companies offer)

My wife tells everyone that I want to be a farmer when I grow up. Dad and Uncle had cattle farm as sideline to the Commercial Construction business. Spent as many hours in hayfields as on framing crew when I worked for them. Bought 27 acres after marrying and worked as Home builder during day and raised feeders on silage, ear corn and hay we raised. Used paychecks to pay feedstore bill and buy old equipment. Sold out after 6 years when drought dried up 60 acres rented hay ground and loans due on 35 head of bred pairs purchased to start the farm. Paid off every debt and kept land eventually selling to my brother for what I paid for it. (We all struggled in the 80's) Took job as Ranch foreman on BTO- Purebreed cattle, commercial herd, cotton cash crop, silage and hay raised to feed 800 head. Owner died from massive heart attack after 3 years and kids had farm sold before he was cold.
Back to construction.
4 years ago, while duck hunting in MS Delta, old flame in me flared up again. Found 40 acres and set up 'Hunting Camp'. Cash rent 25 acres to local farmer, use about 8 acres for duck hole and deer fields, rest is wooded drainage splitting property. 40 acres on west is available with 1/2 tillable and rest needs planed to drain through mine making maybe 30 acres tillable. Selling the lake place we no longer use and could maybe buy it with little mortgage. I have 2 tractors and most equipment for land work and planting, few more pieces and basic equipment less harvesting is in shed and ready to work.

I would really like to retire early (62) and work part time during busy season for wages only, no benefits needed, with a modern operator and work my small place for relaxation and earn enough to maintain taxes, equipment and pay for wildlife areas. I have no experience on the modern tractors or combines with all the electronics.
Its difficult to get in with these farmers without some skills on modern equipment.
Is it possible to get involved in the training sessions offered by JD and CaseIH that are advertised on the new models as a independent? Checked on one Combine school and was told only farm sponsored people accepted, I will pay my fees if accepted.
I need help to learn the new equipment so when I do retire in 3 years I can finally grow up and be what I really want to be, An American Farmer.

TIA
(PM welcome, job offers wanted!)

Edited by nailbender 7/26/2015 09:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)