AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 956 conditioners, what to look for
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Two Hawk
Posted 7/4/2015 21:28 (#4661736 - in reply to #4660760)
Subject: RE: JD 956 conditioners, what to look for

Southern Nevada desert
Did they still run rubber crimpers in 956's? I had a 955 with rubber rolls I used in alfalfa that was the worst drying swather I've used in 20 years. Thankfully it broke one of the rolls in half a few years in and I replaced it with steel rolls that were much better, Deere offered 2 different speed up pulleys for the crimpers that also helped quite a bit, the fastest one wouldn't hold the belt but the mid speed seemed to work fine. I never could make a proper windrow with it, look at the forming shields, no width adjustment. You can either drop the swath board and lay a very wide widrow out the bottom that wont fit in a pickup or a narrow tall windrow that wont dry, all or nothing but never the right size. It would not pick up downed crop well at all. I had a bit of trouble with crimper bearings but solved that when I stopped using the junk JD chinese bearings. Check the joints between the cutter bed modules for leaks, I had to remove the entire cutter bed to replace a cracked modual and re-seal all the joints, probably had more to do with its primary operator (my lunatic 17 year old son) than any design flaw. It was pulled by a 7810 cutting half of 1100 acres 5 times a year in a big hurry and just didnt hold up well when pushed hard, I think it would work out better in a more laid back operation.
I replaced it with a Agco Challenger PTD15B that is a superior machine in every way except parts support, its hard to beat deere at that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)