AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Y drop or split the row? Wet planted corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Forty2366
Posted 7/3/2015 10:29 (#4659409)
Subject: Y drop or split the row? Wet planted corn

Mercer County, Ohio on the Indiana line
I own my own applicator that is an 11 shank applying 12 rows. It's a typical coulter knife style that is centered in the row.

A local individual has a sprayer with y drops on it. He's charging $10/ ac to apply.

The ground I'll be going into is rolling with a lot of wet spots that were wet and sliced while I planted. The corn is very variable from 1'tall v6 up to 4 foot tall v7. The roots are very poorly developed after the wet planting and 12+ inches of rain. I put down 30lbs of N at planting in a 2x2.

Would putting the N right down by the stalk benefit me enough to pay for the $10 application cost? I thought about cutting back my rates to cover the cost but I may just cut back $5 on the N and hope it gives me a return on added yield.

Does anyone have experience in this situation? According to Dad I can count on the moisture in the soil to disperse my N from the center of the row, out to the corn's poorly developed roots. I'm unsure about this. I thought N went straight down for the most part.

Thanks for any and all help in this attempt to rescue some corn yield.

Edited by Forty2366 7/3/2015 10:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)