AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Would you buy a sale barn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

garvo
Posted 7/3/2015 06:50 (#4659037 - in reply to #4658902)
Subject: RE: Would you buy a sale barn?

western iowa,by Denison
Probably the most successful barns are ones where the whole family is involved-Mom runs the kitchen-boys run pens and Dad or boys auction-daughters clerk and help out-First and most important ahay is your wife has to want to do it-if she is not on board-its going to be tuff-and the books always look good to the buyer-the seller isn't going to show you the downfalls-2nd thing is keeping the yards and barn clean-which if you have trouble keeping your small shop clean you will 100 fold trying to stay ahead at the barn

I don't want to sound negative-I have watched your post's ahay-I'm sure you could make it work -I almost bought a auction yard several years ago for monthly machinery auctions-even tried having machinery sales and did 2 in a row over 2 years-I exited the machinery business after doing it for 30 years-after a while you become calloused to people and all the problems-
The same happens with custom silage chopping-after a while it seems like there is no reward for doing a good job-and when you reach that point,you start to wonder why you do it-the bad part about the barn is 10% change in numbers changes your income 100% one way or the other

Edited by garvo 7/3/2015 07:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)