AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Would you buy a sale barn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NDcattleman
Posted 7/2/2015 23:49 (#4658864 - in reply to #4657377)
Subject: RE: Would you buy a sale barn?

North Central ND
I am an auctioneer. I work 2 salebarns every week. The local one sold one year ago and the only reason I didn't get involved was the time. It is a full time job from September to May (in this country). By full time I mean 7 days a week. I certainly dont know everything about your situation but I would say you would need to hire a man at the feedlot to make it work..

It takes a big line of credit to cover the checks you pay out before the payment comes in. But the bank should know that going in..

One thing to look at is sale day for barns in your area. One of the barns I work changed sale day and the buyer seats are FULL! If you are competing with a prominent barn call some buyers and find something that would work better.

Help is always the biggest issue. Here most of the help are farmers and ranchers so winter is a little easier but it always seems like we could use an extra person or two.

For those that talk about buying at your own barn... The owner sits on buyers row at one of the barns I work every week. He buys for himself, he buys on order, and at certain times he just keeps things honest. It works. Nobody says much and its just the way it is. The new owners at the other barn bid as well. They got some scowls and back talk to start with but never backed down and now it is business as usual.

I would certainly dive in but it is a personal thing. If you have the time to do a good job there should be no reason it doesn't work. Best of luck!

P.S. If you care to talk or have other questions feel free to ask. I'm no expert or seasoned veteran by any means but I've seen the behind the scenes for a few years.

EDIT: Took out useless info... (I digress.. ALOT..)

Edited by NDcattleman 7/2/2015 23:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)