AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Paying your kids to work on the farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

prmckay1
Posted 6/29/2015 04:32 (#4651843 - in reply to #4650270)
Subject: RE: Paying your kids to work on the farm

Lone Wolf, Ok
For me - it was when I was 7-8 and started helping drive pickup/tractor etc -- picking up hay

For my kids - I switched -- I have a 90 acre farm that was given to my by my mother (still living so crop share) --

the 2/3 -- I gave to the kids -- basically to give them some spending $, but mainly to provide for college/vehicles etc.

This a a Wheat on Wheat Farm -- it produces fair crops - 20-30 bu --

I had 2 kids -- 2nd one is at year 3 of 5

Both got part time jobs while in college.

What did/do I expect in return -- whatever help they can give me -- After School/Weekends Summers. They both have driven almost everything on the farm - Daughter/Son both are excellent Combine/Tractor operators --

I taught them that we have a 'JOB' to do --

I know this doesn't quite fit the 'norm' -- but I still think this benefited me as well as them - they are both top notch students (Daughter starting masters) - Son - Ag Engr -- 3.5 overall GPA - 4.0 last 3 semesters -- Many outside endeavors --

I don't like watching a clock -- When I was hired in corporate Ford Tractor - I was salaried -- when we shifted to Detroit had to fill out a time card -- That was an experience - Corporate did not understand the hours it took to accomplish the task that I was handed -- (3 months to get Artificial Intelligence Database up) -- We succeeded -- (this was 1984)

Sorry about hijacking the thread --
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)