AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does Cat make farm equipment?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 6/27/2015 00:15 (#4648370)
Subject: Does Cat make farm equipment?

southern MN
There used to be a road grader manufaturing plant in town, bought by Catapiller before it was shut down.

Friend, non farmer, asked yesterday if Catapiller still makes any farm machinery.

And I couldn't even answer? I don't know?

What is the whole Challenger/ Catapiller deal these days, seemed they were New Holland cabs, Agco chassis, and Catapiller engines? I have no idea who really 'owns' the company any more? I recall a lot of shifting around some years back, it used to be called a Catapiller but what today?

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page
shaun3480
Posted 6/27/2015 01:22 (#4648387 - in reply to #4648370)
Subject: RE: Does Cat make farm equipment?

Phillips Co NW Kansas
The 55 we have is a genesis tractor with a cat power plant and tracks. The challenger line of tractors is now owned by Agco. So no CAT does not make farm equipment.
bleedred
Posted 6/27/2015 01:26 (#4648388 - in reply to #4648370)

East Central Ia
No they do not unless you count a skid steer, telehandler.

The Cat dealers still sell and service Ag equipment built by Agco (who purchased the Challenger name) and Lexion combines which are made by Claas.

The Challenger tractors still use some components build by Cat. The tracked undercarriage, transmissions and engines... Etc. however the newer D and E series tractors have gone away from Cat engines in favor of Sisu engines. And the wheeled tractors have the Fendt CVT transmissions.

Most of the Lexion combines in North America use Cat engines.

So it's really kind of a mix and match for what still uses Cat components.

Edited by bleedred 6/27/2015 01:27
D6Joe
Posted 6/27/2015 06:06 (#4648437 - in reply to #4648370)

east central ND
and then there is the Ag-Chem line-up. In our area you cannot get parts from the agco dealer who used to be an ag chem dealer, but have to go to the higher mark-up CAT store.
slowzuki
Posted 6/27/2015 06:14 (#4648443 - in reply to #4648388)

New Brunswick, Canada
And all the small Challengers had Perkins engines in them with Cat stickers over the perkins stickers.

bleedred - 6/27/2015 01:26

No they do not unless you count a skid steer, telehandler.

The Cat dealers still sell and service Ag equipment built by Agco (who purchased the Challenger name) and Lexion combines which are made by Claas.

The Challenger tractors still use some components build by Cat. The tracked undercarriage, transmissions and engines... Etc. however the newer D and E series tractors have gone away from Cat engines in favor of Sisu engines. And the wheeled tractors have the Fendt CVT transmissions.

Most of the Lexion combines in North America use Cat engines.

So it's really kind of a mix and match for what still uses Cat components.
neo_ag
Posted 6/27/2015 06:20 (#4648453 - in reply to #4648388)

northeast ohio
At least some of the CAT branded telehandlers come out of our local JLG plant (Orrville, OH). The web says the acquisition was 2005, but this plant has only been reopened since 2006 or later.
iseedit
Posted 6/27/2015 06:22 (#4648455 - in reply to #4648388)
Subject: RE: Not all Cat Dealers are Ag Dealers ~

central - east central Minnesota -

bleedred - 6/27/2015 01:26 No they do not unless you count a skid steer, telehandler. The Cat dealers still sell and service Ag equipment built by Agco (who purchased the Challenger name) and Lexion combines which are made by Claas. The Challenger tractors still use some components build by Cat. The tracked undercarriage, transmissions and engines... Etc. however the newer D and E series tractors have gone away from Cat engines in favor of Sisu engines. And the wheeled tractors have the Fendt CVT transmissions. Most of the Lexion combines in North America use Cat engines. So it's really kind of a mix and match for what still uses Cat components.

Not all Cat dealers are ag equipment dealers . . . .

If I recall, the newer series of tracked tractors us a undercarriage made/designed by Agco, not Cat -

About the only involvement Cat has in Ag manufacturing is as a Supplier of transmissions and some engines.

Versatile 4x4 tractors us a Cat transmission . . . . 

Itchy
Posted 6/27/2015 07:22 (#4648540 - in reply to #4648443)

SW Iowa
Cat owns Perkins. Lock, stock, and barrel............

"Perkins was bought by Caterpillar in 1998 for US$1.325 billion"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkins_Engines
silverandorange
Posted 6/27/2015 07:49 (#4648588 - in reply to #4648437)

"Challenger" name is still owned by Caterpillar, AGCO uses name with permission/agreement with Cat.
Newguy
Posted 6/27/2015 08:15 (#4648632 - in reply to #4648370)

Renville Minnesota
Agco built and designed NOTHING on any tracked tractor built until they moved from dekalb Illinois to Jackson mn. Which had to be maybe 10-12 years ago.... Then they assembled cat products.

Agco put thier electronics and some hydraulic features on th C models. And now the cat engines are out of the epa's specs. Sisu is the power plant to tha caterpillar components that agco assembles and markets.

You can go to Jackson and tour the plant and get lied to about the history. I'm not old, but old enough to have been involved when my mt 765 had a caterpillar serial number on the order sheet, then an ago stamp on the tractor.

fastdeere
Posted 6/27/2015 08:17 (#4648635 - in reply to #4648370)

paul the original - 6/27/2015 00:15

There used to be a road grader manufaturing plant in town, bought by Catapiller before it was shut down.

Friend, non farmer, asked yesterday if Catapiller still makes any farm machinery.

And I couldn't even answer? I don't know?

What is the whole Challenger/ Catapiller deal these days, seemed they were New Holland cabs, Agco chassis, and Catapiller engines? I have no idea who really 'owns' the company any more? I recall a lot of shifting around some years back, it used to be called a Catapiller but what today?

Paul

If your in southern minnesota I sure would think you would know where Jackson is and know that the Agco assembly plant for the challanger wheel,massey wheel, challanger track tractors, rogators and terragators has been there for quite a number of years and have gone through many expansions. Go take a free tour and browse the new visitors center with your buddy.
iseedit
Posted 6/27/2015 08:25 (#4648653 - in reply to #4648632)

Newguy - 6/27/2015 08:15 Agco built and designed NOTHING on any tracked tractor built until they moved from dekalb Illinois to Jackson mn. Which had to be maybe 10-12 years ago.... Then they assembled cat products. Agco put thier electronics and some hydraulic features on th C models. And now the cat engines are out of the epa's specs. Sisu is the power plant to tha caterpillar components that agco assembles and markets. You can go to Jackson and tour the plant and get lied to about the history. I'm not old, but old enough to have been involved when my mt 765 had a caterpillar serial number on the order sheet, then an ago stamp on the tractor.

If cat engines are out of EPA spec's . . . .. .  what engines is cat using in their construction equipment and truck line ?

I do know, in the supply chain, manufacturers continually evaluate their suppliers and as soon as a contract is ready to expire, decisions have been made for the next least cost supplier.

SIsu is the least cost supplier, at this point - that's the main reason there are no more Cat engines offered. And yes, Sisu was first to be Teir 4 final compliant. Cat is, but came later.

Newguy
Posted 6/27/2015 08:43 (#4648676 - in reply to #4648653)

Renville Minnesota
Yes, you are correct on reason for engine switch. For some reason, was told credits, The mt series got by longer without having to change.

I believe navistar has something to do with the truck line.... Not sure.
iseedit
Posted 6/27/2015 08:49 (#4648687 - in reply to #4648676)
Subject: RE: Cat Trucks ~

Newguy - 6/27/2015 08:43 Yes, you are correct on reason for engine switch. For some reason, was told credits, The mt series got by longer without having to change. I believe navistar has something to do with the truck line.... Not sure.

Cat engine and tranny on Navistar chassis (supposedly cat spec'd chassis) - Cat will start building their own complete truck from top to bottom later this summer/fall. They are severing their relationship with Navistar. Navistar obviously didn't want Cat to compete with them in the heavy truck area. Navistar was very slow to react to the wants and needs of design changes to Cat trucks . . . . . . . 

Edited by iseedit 6/27/2015 08:55
Posted 6/27/2015 08:51 (#4648689 - in reply to #4648635)

Cat trucks are IH with just the Cat name,,, Agco owns license agreement to use the Cat stuff, it's funny tho on the last job I was on there was a newer Challenger track tractor and where the Agco emblem on the hood usually is there was a big Cat emblem,,, who knos
scott nelsen
Posted 6/27/2015 08:51 (#4648691 - in reply to #4648455)

Leeds, North Dakota
iseedit - 6/27/2015 06:22

bleedred - 6/27/2015 01:26 No they do not unless you count a skid steer, telehandler. The Cat dealers still sell and service Ag equipment built by Agco (who purchased the Challenger name) and Lexion combines which are made by Claas. The Challenger tractors still use some components build by Cat. The tracked undercarriage, transmissions and engines... Etc. however the newer D and E series tractors have gone away from Cat engines in favor of Sisu engines. And the wheeled tractors have the Fendt CVT transmissions. Most of the Lexion combines in North America use Cat engines. So it's really kind of a mix and match for what still uses Cat components.

Not all Cat dealers are ag equipment dealers . . . .

If I recall, the newer series of tracked tractors us a undercarriage made/designed by Agco, not Cat -

About the only involvement Cat has in Ag manufacturing is as a Supplier of transmissions and some engines.

Versatile 4x4 tractors us a Cat transmission . . . . 

Versatile tractors have a option of Cat powershift or manual transmission, Cat didn't get credits for tier 4 emissions, and decided to get out, YES they are back in, more on the construction side, that's there baby which they do very well, gotta agree with original post, Agco has there fingers in this, confusing yes, Scott.
eight
Posted 6/27/2015 09:05 (#4648711 - in reply to #4648370)

South Texas
Think I saw some pretty new D9 AG dozers for sale a few months ago. Can't find on CAT's web site if they still make AG version dozers.
Newguy
Posted 6/27/2015 09:49 (#4648767 - in reply to #4648455)

Renville Minnesota
Agco has nothing in the undercarriage, it's all cat. Your possibly thinking camoplast n Deere.

Edited by Newguy 6/27/2015 10:09
Now_What
Posted 6/27/2015 10:01 (#4648793 - in reply to #4648711)

If you go back in history caterpillar built farm equipment long before they started making construction equipment and tractors for that matter. Neighbor has a grain cleaner dating back to the late 1800's and a horse drawn combine harvester in the barn from the same era.

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (104KB - 503 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (103KB - 402 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (117KB - 445 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (161KB - 457 downloads)
billonthefarm
Posted 6/27/2015 11:42 (#4648941 - in reply to #4648793)

Farmington IL
Holt and Best merged in 1925 to form Caterpillar.
jvilleagger
Posted 6/27/2015 11:56 (#4648964 - in reply to #4648689)

Central IL
From the time of the Challenger line purchase, there was a requirement to keep "CAT" somewhere on the hood. If you notice though, it kept getting smaller each year and actually said CAT Power due to the engine. As soon as each frame size changed to SISU engines, the CAT decal on the hood was eliminated. The transmission/rear end on the track units still has CAT stamped fairly large on it.
WillB
Posted 6/27/2015 12:34 (#4649021 - in reply to #4648370)

Ontario Canada
The reason for switching to the SISU engines is the eventual transition to the CVT transmission. CAT will not unlock their software on the engine side, and to run CVT you need this.

Look for CVT 900 series eventually, maybe track machines too.
Boery
Posted 6/27/2015 14:22 (#4649192 - in reply to #4649021)

Hungary
I think the main reason to switch from CAT to Sisu is the fact that AGCO owns Sisu they bought it several years ago.
It is logical that they want to put their own engines in their equipment.
I heard that in a future they will change Deutz engines in the Fendt tractors as well.
They changed Perkins in the MF product line couple of years ago.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)