AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

back to trying firefox
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Chimel
Posted 6/27/2015 07:30 (#4648553 - in reply to #4648454)
Subject: RE: back to trying firefox

Pinning tabs is a handy way to keep your favorites open at all times while minimizing the space they take in the title bar.
In my screenshot, you can for instance see Gmail, Inoreader and a couple more pinned tabs that take only the space of their icons, while the 2 other regular unpinned tabs have both their icon and title visible, taking up much more space.
I used "title bar" to confuse you even more ;), as Firefox merges the regular Windows title bar with its tab bar into a single space saving one when you switch to full screen (by double-clicking on the title bar or clicking on the Maximize button at the top right.)

I think the Options tab in my screenshot is the General tab you mean. You can access it by pressing the Menu button (the icon with 3 bold horizontal bars at the extreme right of your firefox toolbar), and selecting the Options, well, option...
It gets even more confusing then, because the Options tab are this time not shown at the top, but in the left pane. "General" is the first Options tab that should be displayed by default.

You can see that my Firefox Startup field in Options|General is set to always display the tabs and windows last opened. Or you could, if you spoke French. ;)
If you've got the same Firefox Startup value, you can close this Options tab (the little x sign on the right of the "Options" tab title) and then close Firefox. When you start Firefox again, it should restart without showing this Options tab. If it still shows it, then we'll need to dig further, for instance in the "about:config" page.

The same should happen if your startup value is set to display your home page(s). Because Firefox can open several pages as home pages at startup, and because it is easy to fill the home page field by clicking on the "Current Pages" button, it is possible that the Options tab was open at the time you pressed that button, and therefore got added to your list of home pages. That's why I prefer to use pinned tabs, they get memorized and stay open forever, you don't need to set them as home pages, so you can set your Firefox Startup setting to always display the tabs and windows last opened without losing anything. You can check the Home Page field to see if you have several pages referenced there, there is a pipe "|" separator between each page's URL address. It might be easier to spot if you copy and paste its value into Notepad. The URL address of the Options page is "about:preferences", but it is usually never included even if it's open and you press the "Current Pages" button.

In my case, the New Tab page opens systematically if I close all unpinned tabs before closing Firefox. If I leave at least one unpinned tab before closing Firefox, it will not open this blank New Tab page. I believe this is a bug, not some willful design, and it's similar but not related to your problem.

(Firefox.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Firefox.png (47KB - 176 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)