AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

HP Instant Ink program
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/15/2015 09:39 (#4627527)
Subject: HP Instant Ink program

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I bought an HP all in one printer from Wal-Mart some time back. Like most printers it comes with a small ink supply. A few days ago I got an email and an offer from HP about a program they have.

Right or wrong I bit on it. The program is really very clever. You pick an expected level of monthly usage. Since mine is for home use I picked the lowest level. The company charges you a flat rate for ink each month. If you go over the level that you chose you are charged a surcharge for that month.

The printer must be connected to an internet connection. The printer reports back your actual usage and they send you new cartridges when the level is getting low. Both my color and black cartridges got low at the same time so the system sent me one of each. Apparently the printer knows when you put in the new cartridges as I got an email today indicating that HP knew that I had installed the new cartridges and my monthly plan would begin.

They even send a bag to send the spent cartridges back to them postage free. All in all the program is very handy.

The directions warn you not to use the cartridges in a printer that is not enrolled in the program. I suppose they are concerned that you might just enroll one printer at a higher level (less cost per page) but use the cartridges in another printer to try to "beat the system".

My cost for 50 copies or less each month is $2.99. Apparently if I use less or don't even print at all that month I'm still charged the flat rate of $2.99. So that amounts to $ .06 per page if I used exactly the 50 copies that I'm allowed. Obviously the cost/page is higher if I don't print 50 pages. If for some reason I only printed 1 page it would cost me $2.99.

Since the system knows how many copies and how much ink I have used, the shipment of the next batch of cartridges is scheduled for later arrival. I guess this is how they make their money.

With limited use, I'm not so sure this program is so great but it is very handy. I may cancel out and just go back to buying them online or at Wal-Mart.

Edited by tedbear 6/15/2015 09:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)