AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chevy 5.3L V8 problems?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Dan Loehr
Posted 6/7/2015 09:27 (#4613072)
Subject: Chevy 5.3L V8 problems?

Holland, Indiana (SW IN)
Have a 2012 Chevy 1500 4X4 W/T 5.3L 6 speed 110,000mi bought new- well maintained-used on the farm- beginning to get a pretty rough around the edges- probably will trade in 10 -20K miles.

Like the chevy OK -not many maintance issues except the engine -under warranty put in lifters at 52K , lost oil pump & engine at 55,000 mi. all repaired under warranty-had a friend -same engine (5.3)
his replaced by GM at 125000 mi. cost him $5000+ his lifters replaced at 80,000 mi. by GM (warranty)

To my question can't really figure out what to buy when I trade-like the chevy- pretty inexpensive- I buy the plain Jane WT- like the 1500- goes good in the mud, rides pretty good-but what about the engines? Possibly we both had lemons? Like the 6 sp trans longest I ever had A trans go and still be working right-possibly got lucky.

Should I consider a diff size engine? Probably not smaller -pull a trailer pretty often. Maby I shouldn't worry about it I guess they still have 100K power train warranty ? But I really miss all the tools and stuff in my truck when it's gone for 2 wks.

Any comments or advice appreciated. Would consider a diff brand but hate to spend a lot more than the WT- trucks are not worth much when I'm done with them.

Thanks Dan.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tompa
Posted 6/7/2015 09:43 (#4613105 - in reply to #4613072)
Subject: RE: Chevy 5.3L V8 problems?

North shore of Lake Ontario
We have a 2014 Gmc 1500 which is the same as a Chev. Not gone far enough for a decent test but being the first year of a new model it has been excellent. 5.3 now is direct injected and if you can keep your foot off the throttle then 25 miles per gal is possible but hitch it to a trailer and it tows just fine but uses way more fuel.

Previous versions of the 5.3 according to our local mechanic have oil pump design problems in that they have a steel pressure regulating valve sliding in an aluminum housing which wears and then the valve will stick in an open position.

My old 2004 had that happen to the original pump and the replacement pump and an aftermarket finally fixed it. Never lost the engine though.

Not sure if the new engines have corrected that problem.
Put extended warranty on it and drive on. Gm can fix it on their dime and get a loaner thrown in when you make the deal.
Blackbaldie
Posted 6/8/2015 06:05 (#4614846 - in reply to #4613072)

West Central Indiana
Have an 05 3/4 ton with the 6.0 167,000 miles with no problems. Before that had an 02 with a 6.0. My brother has it now 230,000 miles the only problem has been a cracked flywheel. My trucks are not abused but they are expected to work for a living.

(Chevy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Chevy.jpg (116KB - 470 downloads)
Ag Tuning
Posted 6/8/2015 08:37 (#4615106 - in reply to #4613072)

Marengo, Illinois.
I had a 2000 silverado with the 5.3L engine. It had 170,000 miles on it when i sold it and never had a lick of trouble. The only thing i did was change the belts at around 110,000. I now have a 07 GMC Sierra with 75000 on it and knock on wood, i have had no problems with that either. Either i have had really good luck or you might have had really bad luck. Either way. Good luck to you and your decision you make.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)