AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hauling tractor on gooseneck across state lines
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WItitan2
Posted 6/6/2015 23:01 (#4612615)
Subject: hauling tractor on gooseneck across state lines

Pierce county WI
I bought a tractor about 550 miles away. It only weighs about 10000 lbs. So I thought I would just throw it on behind my pickup. The pickup gets better mileage than the semi. And I might take my dad with and then he can help drive. So here's my question: am I a comercial vehicle then? If you're hauling a tractor for your own farm? Either way, I suppose I need to put my dot number on it. How about annual inspection forms? Would I need to log it? Or should I just hook up the trailer and run it outlaw? Maybe I should just take the semi, I know how to do it!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mosinee dave
Posted 6/6/2015 23:05 (#4612617 - in reply to #4612615)
Subject: RE: hauling tractor on gooseneck across state lines

Mosinee Wi
where are you picking up and going to?
WItitan2
Posted 6/6/2015 23:33 (#4612644 - in reply to #4612617)

Pierce county WI
Picking up in Nebraska panhandle going back home to Ellsworth wi. Only real scale I have to worry about is the port of entry coming into south Dakota east of sioux falls
Ben D, N CA
Posted 6/6/2015 23:45 (#4612652 - in reply to #4612615)

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Tie it tight and go at night...

Honestly though, I've had better luck getting stuff hauled, cheaper than I can make a round trip with a pickup and GN for, and that way the worry is on someone else. Last one was $2 loaded mile for a 10' wide, 15,000lb tractor, 400 miles. I didn't even have to put the duals back on since they hauled it, never took them off. Going to take a full day to round trip that, think $800 is money well spent.

Jay in WA
Posted 6/6/2015 23:57 (#4612663 - in reply to #4612615)

Pasco WA.
Whats the combined GVWR rating of the pickup and trailer? Local DOT guy told me that's what they go by. Over 26,000 and you need a CDL. When your 500 miles from home the local farm exemption is not going to work either.
Mike SE IL
Posted 6/7/2015 00:37 (#4612672 - in reply to #4612615)

West Union, Illinois

WItitan2 - ... 550 miles away ... weighs about 10000 lbs ... am I a comercial vehicle then? If you're hauling a tractor for your own farm? Either way, I suppose I need to put my dot number on it. How about annual inspection forms? Would I need to log it? Or should I just hook up the trailer and run it outlaw? Maybe I should just take the semi, I know how to do it!
Some excerpts from FMCSA (that means I didn't copy EVERYTHING) :

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater;

Covered farm vehicle —

(1) Means a straight truck or articulated vehicle—

(i) Registered in a State with a license plate or other designation issued by the State of registration that allows law enforcement officials to identify it as a farm vehicle;

(ii) Operated by the owner or operator of a farm or ranch, or an employee or family member of a an owner or operator of a farm or ranch;

(iii) Used to transport agricultural commodities, livestock, machinery or supplies to or from a farm or ranch; and

(2) Meeting the requirements of paragraphs (1)(i) through (iv) of this definition:

(i) With a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating, whichever is greater, of 26,001 pounds or less may utilize the exemptions in § 390.39 anywhere in the United States; or

(ii) With a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating, whichever is greater, of more than 26,001 pounds may utilize the exemptions in § 390.39 anywhere in the State of registration or across State lines within 150 air miles of the farm or ranch with respect to which the vehicle is being operated.

Farm vehicle driver means a person who drives only a commercial motor vehicle that is—

(a) Controlled and operated by a farmer as a private motor carrier of property;

(b) Being used to transport either—

(2) Farm machinery, farm supplies, or both, to or from a farm;

(e) Being used within 150 air-miles of the farmer's farm.

OK, so what does all that mean?  If the truck and trailer with the tractor loaded and you and Dad in the seat weighs over 26,000 pound you need to follow all the rules. My guess is with a gooseneck you will be close.  That means commercial plates (I'm told in most states 550 miles away means farm plates = no plates if you get stopped) , CDL (you're driving a commercial vehicle interstate and not farmer exempt) , medical card (because you are interstate), DOT numbers (because you are interstate), inspection reports (needs done regardless), meet Hours OF Service and carry a proper log book. My understanding is 550 miles each way means it will take 2 days. You can't do it legally in 1 unless one of you logs into a sleeper.

Unless you are just wanting a grand adventure pay to have it delivered. 

eddiedry
Posted 6/7/2015 00:43 (#4612673 - in reply to #4612672)

Wheatley, Arkansas
DOT goes by stated gross from the manufacturer, not the total weight of the unit with passengers in it.
8430Aaron
Posted 6/7/2015 01:26 (#4612699 - in reply to #4612615)

Dennison, IL
I hauled a 6115D deere tractor from Alabama to Terre haute on a weekend. Farm plates, b truck plates, gooseneck. I didn't have any problems not stopping at the weigh station. Not much if any was legal, but when you come down to it, there's not too much that is. It just depends who is interpreting the law. I can't figure how you can't pocket half of what they might charge to haul it if you have the trailer sitting in the shed, unless barney stops you.
GM Guy
Posted 6/7/2015 02:19 (#4612709 - in reply to #4612615)

NW KS/ SC ID
From the description, I would wing it, sounds like Farmer John going after a tractor he bought, and he is not making any money doing it.

If you love traveling, the best thing to do is go buy crap on an online auction and then go get it. Its a terribly expensive game of hide and go seek, but it is fun, and as long as you got a good deal, worthwhile as well.
Merle
Posted 6/7/2015 06:09 (#4612761 - in reply to #4612644)

If you are empty just blow on through. See goosenecks do that all the time.
Catoperator
Posted 6/7/2015 06:14 (#4612764 - in reply to #4612615)

N W Ohio
Isn't it considered personal property? What if a collector, who doesn't farm, bought it and went after it? I Had this same conversation with a relative recently, he hired someone to haul a tractor about 500 miles. I told him I would have done it if I was him.
John Doe
Posted 6/7/2015 06:19 (#4612766 - in reply to #4612615)

south east Michigan
I purchased a 14,000 lb tractor in Texas and hauled it home to Michigan on a 14,000 lb GN trailer. We passed a couple of weigh stations and waved as we went by. A few police passed as well on the trip. Call me lucky, if you will. I got 'ole Tex home and she is running fine.
Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 6/7/2015 06:22 (#4612770 - in reply to #4612699)

Chebanse, IL.....

I kind of agree w/you, 8430Aaron....BUT, if "barney" does stop you for wrong plates/documentation, etc, he'll probably also make you park the load very nearby & not let you haul it. Then, you'll have fines & still pay to have someone haul it. Maybe you've cut the miles down a bit though at that point.

I wish states were uniform in their laws AND I wish they had an exemption you could call for to haul your own farm equipment on your own truck/trailer (normal plates) with your own properly certificated driver(s). If the states were smart, they'd charge $100 for this 1-time exemption & try & work their way out of debt (ATTENTION IL Gov Rauner!). Exemption would be posted in rear window. It could be emailed by SOS people so you could get it immediately via credit card transaction. It seems that if that truck (D plates?) & gooseneck were plated normally, you could drive from Florida to Alaska & back empty. But, put YOUR medium size tractor on there & you're potentially a criminal. Why is that?

Why not? I do understand where the "no-no-no" lobbying would come from though....trucking associations.

Finally, on another practical every-day life observation....how many goosenecks w/tractors on their backs pulled by pickups have you seen twisted up on an interstate median or sitting about 1/2 up the rear of a family-filled sedan? I can't recall any, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough. 

ahay68979
Posted 6/7/2015 06:43 (#4612791 - in reply to #4612766)

Saronville NE
Hauled a tractor and loader home Over 450 miles 8 yrs ago. Would have been over 26000 total weight. Just do it I never stopped at any stations. Just tie it down good and drive.
TWB
Posted 6/7/2015 07:02 (#4612813 - in reply to #4612770)

I understand the hiring to have it haul, but if you never seen the tractor or going to an auction out of state to buy a certain tractor and it needs to be remove from auction site that day. Those are reasons for hauling the tractor ( saying it under 100 hp to be 10000 pounds or less ) on your own trailer. I think the laws need to be same state to state. There are dozens of ways to make it look simpler to do. And you can look at it many different ways also.
E718
Posted 6/7/2015 08:13 (#4612930 - in reply to #4612615)

Sac & Story county IA
You are on the hook for the whole list once you cross state line and get 150 miles from home. You may not get stopped and all moot. Or you may get a dozen violations. You never know. If you get in a wreck, the opposing attorney will walk up and down past jury saying things like "absolutely no regard for laws or safety". You can bet your farm on no trouble, but I won't.
WItitan2
Posted 6/7/2015 08:17 (#4612936 - in reply to #4612791)

Pierce county WI
I do have a cdl and my med card. I also have dot numbers. Hauling it is going to cost at least 1200. I can haul it with the pickup and get probably 11 mpg, so it's definitely cheaper to do it myself. It's an old collector tractor, and 1200 added to the price hurts the value a little. 1200 might not get it hauled anyway. There probably isn't a lot of stepdecks or rgns empty in that area. I also do some trucking, but I can do it way cheaper with my dodge than my Pete getting 6.5 to 7mpg. Plus, I can let dad drive then, and he loves a good road trip!
SSeck
Posted 6/7/2015 08:28 (#4612959 - in reply to #4612615)

Central Ks
I hauled this from the middle of Oklahoma back to Kansas without any trouble. Straight up the Interstate and didn't bother with scales.

It was my truck, a borrowed trailer, and my fathers tractor. I do have my cdl, but doubt I needed it.

(IMAG0275.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMAG0275.jpg (96KB - 282 downloads)
8320farmer
Posted 6/7/2015 08:31 (#4612967 - in reply to #4612615)

East central Indiana
Get going. Your fine. Just please tie it down good. That's the down fall I see go most people's loads.
Curt Keiser
Posted 6/7/2015 08:46 (#4613007 - in reply to #4612770)

Beresford SD
Great idea Ron, but it will not happen. Why ? Because it makes to much sense!
Illinois Steve
Posted 6/7/2015 09:22 (#4613067 - in reply to #4612615)

North Central Illinois
I'm not opposed to hauling it. If you have the proper equipment and secure the load according to DOT laws I wouldn't worry too much. You have a DOT number and medical card. You'll probably be fine. That is if you and your dad are looking for an adventure and want to see some country. Don't delude yourself into thinking that you are really going to save much money by doing it yourself. By the time you figure fuel and depreciation on your truck you are crowding $800. If you stop for meals or stay overnight along the way that adds to the cost as well. Then there is the possibility of a breakdown along the way that will cost you money. When all is said and done if you drive straight thru and don't stay overnight and eat nothing but McDonalds, and have no breakdowns you might clear $400 on the deal. I don't think you will have any trouble and at least you will get the tractor when you want it and know it will be treated well. I just don't see it as a huge savings money wise. Good luck!
Sodbustr
Posted 6/7/2015 09:44 (#4613108 - in reply to #4612764)

Western Iowa
I have had that discussion with a blue car.... if it is used in a business, it is fair game to them.

That is why first thing they ask you what you are hauling, why you are hauling it, and where you are going. Making sure they have jurisdiction.

To the OP, if the pickup is under 10,000 GVWR on the door jamb, and the pickup and trailer is under 26,000 GCWR, they can't pull you over for personal use. Area gets fuzzy if for commerce..... you likely won't get pulled over. If you do, just tell them you work in town and bought the tractor to push snow off your own driveway....

4 tires on the trailer and you seem to get left alone. 8 tires on the trailer and it seems to beg "pull me over". They know a tandem dually trailer and pickup will be over the 26,000
illinidirtfarmer
Posted 6/7/2015 09:55 (#4613122 - in reply to #4612766)

WC IL
What you did is part of the reason the LEOs are paying more attention to goosenecks. You probably had the trailer overloaded by 7-8,000 pounds, at least. I'm glad it worked for you, but I'd say you got lucky, both from the standpoint of blowing the scales and making it that far without blowing all the tires. A 14,000 pound tractor would be pushing the heck out of a 20,000 GVW trailer.
MN Dave 2
Posted 6/7/2015 11:00 (#4613230 - in reply to #4613122)

All these "experts" that tell you to "just do it, I did it" will be among the first to say as they drive by you and your rig surrounded by flashing lights cars "dang, that poor old boy better have all his paperwork done or he is in a world of hurt". Yes, it's been done before and you could probably do it yourself, but how many $$$s will you save by doing it the cheap way? $500? $1000? How long will $500 or $1000 last is you have to start paying lawyers? How lucky do you feel?
IADAVE
Posted 6/7/2015 11:51 (#4613299 - in reply to #4613067)

I have trucked enough to know that if you are patient about when it gets hauled and don't care when it gets loaded or unloaded you can ALWAYS get it hauled cheaper than you can do it your self. That being said around here if my Dad would like to do something we do it whether it makes economic sense ore not, within reason. If your Dad wants to go, put on your farmer hats, contact the appropriate states, get your trip permits, put on your numbers, fill out your log books and go!
another round
Posted 6/7/2015 12:51 (#4613397 - in reply to #4612615)

Athens, Illinois
You better buy the proper permits. They don't cost the much. My friend is a Sec of State police and if you cross state lines and the states don't have a mutual pass agreement you could be in trouble. They can make you buy the proper plate on the spot and since your plate is not valid also issue a overweight ticket. Do yourself a favor spend a hundred or 2 and get the proper permits.
Istumped
Posted 6/7/2015 15:14 (#4613594 - in reply to #4612663)

ne il
Jay in WA - 6/6/2015 11:57

Whats the combined GVWR rating of the pickup and trailer? Local DOT guy told me that's what they go by. Over 26,000 and you need a CDL. When your 500 miles from home the local farm exemption is not going to work either.

This is true even in Illinois. State is nailing everyone over here. I mean eveyone. Im glad too to see it happen. Farm exemption doesn't work here. Know of many busted.
Illinois Steve
Posted 6/7/2015 18:59 (#4613945 - in reply to #4613397)

North Central Illinois
If he spends a couple hundred for permits he is even closer to breakeven on having it hauled by a professional. As I said earlier, the only way this really makes any sense is if he and his dad are looking for something to do together. If he does it correctly and stops for meals or even spends a night in a motel he is not going to save any money.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)