AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for those that have moved away
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Glenn Dye
Posted 5/22/2015 22:32 (#4586060)
Subject: Question for those that have moved away

Appomattox/Fredericksburg, VA
How did you do it? My ancestors have been here since the 1700s. But our area has been overrun with city folk that commute to DC to work. Open ground is quickly disappearing to the tune of hammers putting up houses. The land is priced based on how many houses can be built on it which makes it far deeper than my checkbook would ever keep up with. If I didn't want to farm, it wouldn't be a problem. But I can't just pick a spot on the map and say "I'm going to farm there." Ground is already spoken for. I'm not one to rent out from underneath people. My land base is all of 500 acres and is all cash rent. I know it's just a matter of time before they sell out to the developers as well. I mean my landlords are 95, 86, 86, and a couple in their 50s. The landlord of the majority of my acres was offered $14 million for his farm and turned it down. Don't think the 5 kids will. I'm 29 and the only child, I couldn't leave my folks behind. But I see the writing on the wall. I don't see how my son would ever have a chance to farm around here. Things have changed and people just don't care anymore. I'm tired of getting the bird when I move equipment to provide for my family. I never thought at 29 I'd feel the way I do about my hometown. Add on to it all we're trying to buy my granddaddy's homeplace (110 acres) from the rest of the heirs and they just want as much money as they can get. "When it comes to a dollar family don't mean nothing" so my father was once told. Sad to see it being confirmed.

Enough with my rant, just curious how others have left and not looked back. I just don't know if I could do it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)