AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

LAND STORY & NOW GATE LOCK ..I'M FURIOUS.. NOW WHAT'S YOUR THOUGHTS? ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 5/21/2015 23:59 (#4584624 - in reply to #4584589)
Subject: RE: LAND STORY & NOW GATE LOCK ..I'M FURIOUS.. NOW WHAT'S YOUR THOUGHTS? ?

Southeast Wyoming

Oldtonew - 5/21/2015 22:21 Everybody can read the same statement and interpret it differently. I did the good deed with no intentions or expectations just as you stated. Its more principle of matter than it is monetary. I did not have to nor was required to do any up keep to property for hunting rights. I did it out of common courtesy and appreciation for access to land. I have spent way more time on property doing up keep than hunting. If that is not goodness of heart what is. I would have been much better to charge landowner for work I did to property and pay them for the hunting rights. I do not feel I own this property at all. I just always try to be a good steward to the land I have opportunity to use. However I do feel I should have been treated with the common courtesy of being formally notified by landowner of their land plan changes and proper communication when I addressed land issues instead of landowner ignoring them and acting like a immature child not getting their way. I have stated this in other post on this thread and will say it here again. Its the Principle of the matter that frustrates me in this situation not the monetary. People can read, think, assume what they want on this land situation but that is the way is was and how I feel.

You are digging yourself into a hole.  Maybe you should just let it go.  If you were not "required" to do something why do you "require" them to do something?

What part of "common courtesy" is badgering them, nagging at them, with emails and phone calls and raking them across the coals on the internet when you do not get your way?

No I am not trying to be mean, just trying to get you to look at your actions with the same critical eye which  you look at their actions.  It seems that they were very generous in allowing you to hunt, especially if you were not asked to do any maintenance.

They were generous, you were generous; their situation changed . . . you were made aware of the change.  To them this is not about you, trying to make it about you to them will surely not end in your favor IMO.  Give it a rest and some time to heal.

Oldtonew - 5/5/2015 21:26 Some land in my area that a city folk couple bought years ago with plans to move to the country and retire. When they first purchased it they come to me to do some work for them. I did the work, they were very nice people to work for and paid me for the work I did. I looked forward to them being future neighbors. The property is mostly wooded with some small fields. Great get away place for privacy , hunting , country recreation. They live several hours away and only come to the property a few times a year, give me keys to the gates and buildings and ask me to keep a watch out on their place. I have done that for years and been allowed to use the property for hunting. I have looked after the property and maintained it at my expense for having it to hunt and just being a good friend to a future neighbor. Well as time went by, I receive a email from the lady about them wanting to sell the land and they would pay me a finder fee. I had always got a phone call from the man or lady when it was serious business. I responded I was sorry to hear their decision to sell but would be happy to help in any way I could , they knew I had experience in selling real estate, we needed to get together and discuss specifics of what they had in mind. Well nothing ever happened and the man and his daughter comes to visit the property months later. We visited as always, I casually mentioned their future plans about the property and he never specifically stated they wanted to sell. I ask about his wife, which was always there when they come to the country because she is the one that fell in love with the property and the reason they bought it. He said she was doing fine she had traveled out of state to visit her sister. Well they depart and several months go by. One day I get a call from a friend who was going hunting on the property telling me there was a truck with real estate company logo parked at the gate. I go to the property to see what was taking place and just happened to catch the individual as he was about to hit the highway coming out of the property entrance road. I questioned him about what was taking place and he informed me the lady had called him about selling the property that her and husband had divorced but was on good terms and were going to work together in selling anything they owned as a couple . He stated she had told him of me and I looked after the property ( this was unusal because property owner always called me when someone was going to be on the property to open gate for them ) and commented I really had the place looking good and set up just right for hunting. I was polite , thanked him for the nice gesture but I didn't mention anything of my background in real estate. However, I was thinking this is great I have worked and kept this place up at my expense and someone else is going to reap the reward. We departed and that night I called the landowner but no answer , leave message but never got a return call. Wrote a letter and sent it by USPS mail and email never got a reply. Tried to make contact later still no connection with the property owner. About 6 months later I had been in and out of the property doing some work. I left one day for a couple hours and when I returned to the property I had a big for sale sign welcoming me. I try to make contact with property owner calls , letters , emails still no response. Well a year has passed since the for sale sign was put up and guess what. Now I get contacted asking to help to sell land. What is your thoughts on this after I was ignored earlier? I have a lot of emotion here with this property and the owners. Its sad they have divorced departed ways. I am irritated because they quit communicating as they normally did. Never formally let me know what was going on since I had been nice enough to look after their property and keep it up. They benefited more then I have from the up keep of property than I have for the hunting rights to the property. I really like the place but can not afford to buy it and at the same time hate to loose access to it when someone else buys the property. I could eventually sell the place and make some money from it but I would rather have access to property than the selling fee. How would you feel being in this situation and treated this way when you have done good deeds being the nice guy? How would you respond and try to remedy the situation considering objectives above?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)