AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

thinking of moving off the farm site, any advice?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

thor
Posted 5/21/2015 11:34 (#4583584 - in reply to #4582334)
Subject: RE: This is a good read with no advise...

northern MN

33 years ago I lived in town and just having kids. They were little but I found I was missing every thing and it bothered me a lot so we moved to the farm the first chance we got. Bought the home place and things were great, kids would come to the shop or I would go to the house a couple times a day just to say hi and see how things are going. Life was good. But, like any young farmer I was busy and didn't enjoy them as much as I should have. Really the kids were just as busy, school, sports, social and church activity's had them on the road a lot. Farm work is always there and they participated if there were none of the other things going on. I don't think there were any lasting negatives about not being there but I know that I wasn't and that bothers me on occasion.

Now, my son is dealing with the same issues. We built the farm up with major investment in the yard, shop, cold storage, grain bins and a very nice house. My daughter in law is a great gal, but she is a city kid and likes living in town, their son loves the farm and we want it to be there should he choose to live here. Now what do we do? Cant sell the house in the event someone wants to live here, the building site is too valuable to anyone other than a farmer to make changes. Its a real problem not just from that standpoint but for estate planning too. Were I to do it again I just don't know perhaps a small farm yard with a bin site and cold storage nearby. Woulda coulda shoulda, who knows? For me being there for my kids was reason enough to move here but that's just for me. For them I think having a house off farm would have been better perhaps just the shop in the yard.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)