AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spice testing lab
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chimel
Posted 5/19/2015 04:41 (#4579229 - in reply to #4576538)
Subject: RE: Spice testing lab

I'd make a new custom blend from scratch and print a custom sticker with your grandpa's name to put on the bag.
It's also more fun to experiment in family with spices and have 2 or 3 different mixes for different usages.
The quality and freshness of the ingredients plays a greater role than the mix, makes a smaller quantity go a long way too.

Many sausage blends have onion and garlic powder, I'd use fresh if the sausages are to be frozen or eaten fresh, dry for dry sausage.
Any salt will do, but there's several types of black peppers with different tastes, grind the kernels fresh rather than buying old powder.
A bit of hot red pepper rather than black pepper goes well with lamb sausage.
Grind all spices finely, especially tough ones like rosemary or laurel.

As for herbs, there are many to choose from: thyme, rosemary, sage, laurel, tarragon, savory, oregano, marjoram, especially for Italian-type sausage.
Spices like coriander, cumin or fennel seeds, whole or ground, are great with sausage too. Lightly smoked paprika ("pimentón") is a must for chorizo sausage.
Dry parsley, basil or chives have no flavor, so use them only fresh if you freeze the sausages or eat them fresh.
I didn't see it listed in sausage spice mixes, but a bit of nutmeg should be great for pork, boar or chicken sausage.

Breakfast sausages and patties are usually much milder than dinner sausages. You can almost skip on the spices with high quality fresh meat.
You can add cooked oats or barley to the sausage mix too for a more filling dish, finely diced apple or boiled pork skin for a different texture, not just spices.
Enjoy!

Spice labs exist, they recently analyzed spice composition in Europe, and found stuff like peanuts in paprika. Spices cost a lot, so there is a high incentive to fraud.

Edited by Chimel 5/19/2015 04:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)