AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Renew the lease
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Chimel
Posted 5/15/2015 10:15 (#4571309 - in reply to #4569948)
Subject: RE: Renew the lease

True, you can renew the IP lease from your ISP only with a direct connection such as DSL and a cable modem, which is what I had in the U.S. But the principle is the same if you connect your iPad or laptop to a router, like in your home network or a public Wi-Fi. Except these commands will renew your IP lease just from the router and internal LAN network, not the ISP.

Plus these days, now that we are out of IP v4 addresses, these commands may not even be correct! ;) My ISP assigns only IP v6 addresses for instance. So I should use the /release6 and /renew6 switches if I had a cable modem on my current DSL connection, which would be a bit stupid, since the box provided by my ISP is a cabled/Wi-Fi router, TV set-top box, DVR and probably even more.

Not sure if all routers share a common interface that would allow a software to renew the IP lease from the ISP, short of doing it from the router's configuration page or unplugging or switching the router off. Probably not, and it could open a can of security worms if it were possible...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)