AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need advice from diet gurus
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chimel
Posted 5/12/2015 03:25 (#4565261 - in reply to #4565245)
Subject: RE: Need advice from diet gurus

As summer is coming, salads are great. Not just the green lettuce kind, but other raw fruits and vegetable like sliced tomatoes, grated carrots or beets, but also boiled vegetables like green beans, leaks or even lentils are great with a little of dressing. You can add cubed chicken or ham, or a hard boiled egg to it. Use 0% fat yogurt instead of oil for the dressing, alternate between balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. The dressing is really a critical component of salads, so experiment a bit, it's not hard at all, no need to be a guru for it.

Cook one-ingredient dishes, you don't need vegetables with your meat if you also have a salad, or you don't need meat if you are also eating legumes, eggs or dairy. Portion control (and exercise) seem to be more important than the type of food. The main thing is, make sure that you enjoy cooking, that it's not a chore, but a pleasure, for instance the opportunity to listen to a song album, a special radio show, or just playing with new food ingredients and utensils. Get for instance a good garlic press, it's easier to get good-for-you garlic in your salads, and it's easier to clean too.

If you make a dish, you can make enough for 2 and freeze a portion for later.

If you are in a hurry, bulgur and lentils cook fast, especially the coral lentils used in Indian cuisine and easy to find.
One-ingredient dishes are great to learn about each ingredients, but adding a bit of this or a bit of that will make them even tastier and more wholesome. Don't skip fat and oil altogether, they bring essential amino acids to the body and brain, just put a tight control on portions, and maybe use cold-pressed oil instead of refined oil. I know you work in the oil field, but having my oil extracted with a petrochemical solvent like hexane is not exactly my idea of safe, tasty and wholesome food...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)