AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rf id to keep track of cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

iknow
Posted 5/9/2015 15:36 (#4560338)
Subject: rf id to keep track of cattle

hello. I revieved help here several times, so i'll push my luck and ask another time.

I have several remote pastures. about 150 mile round trip to check things. I have things just about figured out on how to monitor
water....but the last worry, have they came in to drink, sick or are out ?

got to thinking. we have the new rf id chips. why not put one on each critter. where they come in to drink is kind of little lot, so i could
put a bar over the gate they walk thru, and maybe have an rf id reader pick up who has gone thru the gate.

here is where i get lost. how to i get that info to me, and in a format that is useful. i don't know if it would ping every time
they walk thru, and i would make a check list, or if somehthing would write a report. also, how we get the info from the reader to
me. im thinking via internet with a local wifi unit, if i can get coverage.

then an idea on cost.

if the critter doesn't show up on the "pass thru" list for 24 hours, would have to make the trip to go look at things and/look for her.

i was also thinking i could go really nuts, and put a scale where they walk thru, and get a daily report on weight, and also put an infarred
thermometer on it, to also take it's temp.....so i could also watch condition and health. if she's loosing weight or running a temp, i would
know it, and better yet, know which critter !

now, all sounds wonderful.........but will it take a pasture load of cattle to pay for the toys, or im i just thinking a few years ahead of the
times.

thanks for input !
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)