AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Day 1 Kansas Wheat Tour comes in Lower than last year.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 5/6/2015 00:04 (#4554022 - in reply to #4553858)
Subject: Harvested Acres are the wild card..

Look at that harvested acres table..  Wow those are some sizable swings..

This year's day 1 yield is the lowest since 2001's.. when the state wide tour yield estimate was 32.7.. The final was a whopping 40 bu yield that year but USDA chopped nearly 300,000 acres off to reach that..  (We're GONNA GET BACK on TREND LINE Yields..!!)

Wow look at how many Myn Acre Swings there are...  2004 and 2007 saw sizable reductions.. in Harvested acres of almost a myn acres while 2011 went the other way a myn acres..  Why bother estimating yields if acres jump around that much?

Look at the wheat harvested to planted percentage.. from a low of 82.7% in 07 to 2000's 95.9%

A Standard deviation of 633 k acres...  Drought.. Hail.. Winterkill.. and now mudholes.  Go figure..

I'm struck by this twitter pic.. from the tour.. (credit Aaron Harries) of side by side comparisons.. pretty good looking field next to one stunted and thinned by suspected Winterkill conditions..see the brown spots.. We're seeing a lot of that here.. driving down the road.. crop is horrible.. not so bad.. pretty good.. and back to horrible.. The neighbor tore up a patch of wheat this past week.. so... ???  idk.. and yet some looks like the field on the left...

Embedded image permalink

Is it possible that with more moisture.. more acres get torn out because now producers have options? 

If this field gets rain... that could be followed by glyposate..  

How do you thunk we got all the corn and bean acres?  (answer.. see below)

Embedded image permalink 

Cool weather ain't gonna do much for that.. golly who needs summer fallow?

You can tell that this is no-till stubbleback.. and there's ALOT of those acres out there..neighbor.. ALL of his wheat is stubble back.. 1500'ish acres.. though not all are as stressed as this pic..  Wow.. but 15 bu range.. would be my guess..  3.5'ish myn acres of dryland corn grown in Kansas.. and a GOOD CHUNK goes back to Wheaties out here.. 85% of my corn goes back to wheat..(some years 100%) state wide..???  Maybe 45%..??.. 30%.. 50%..??

Embedded image permalink

Boot tall wheat..

Embedded image permalink 

and this comment from Shroyer..  "Smaller flag leaves means lower yields.  When the factory is small you get smaller products."

Embedded image permalink 

Still if the stripe rust does not get it..

Embedded image permalink.

there are also some good looking fields.. 

Embedded image permalink 

Credits..https://twitter.com/KansasWheat/with_replies 

Keep em coming..

Embedded image permalink 

I believe these pics are a pretty good representation.. I could probably take similar of every single one of these on my farm. 

Yup.. that's what it is... 

Edited by JonSCKs 5/6/2015 10:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)