AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Barn or shed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Wisconsindairy
Posted 4/25/2015 23:01 (#4538112)
Subject: Barn or shed?

Freedom, WI
We are going to be doing a building project around here soon to take the place of an old wood shed we have. What are your opinions? The shed would either be 52x30 or 52x40 with a concrete floor and 2 overhead doors and would basically be a shop that we could heat. It won't go up with heat but we would be able to add it. That is what grandma wants because she wants the room for storage. (I hope I am wrong, but she wants to get a bunch of small animals) The other option is what I would kind of like. I would like to add 16 more tie stalls with nice mattresses to the end of the barn and have 72 stalls. Even if we wouldn't expand the herd numbers, we would still be able to have more cows on mats and less in stanchions because their necks are right at the top right now and they are on concrete. We were quoted about $30,000 from one builder for the shed and waiting to hear back from another, so probably about $40,000 when it's all said and done. Do you think we would be able to do the barn addition for that price? (16 stalls, mats, dividers and hardware, pipeline, barn cleaner motor and chain, and cinderblock walls (matches the other part)) I am just thinking towards the future a bit and if I want to milk some more, the option is there. If we would do this, I sort of have a plan where I would go from here, but that would take a while to explain. So what would you go with and if you choose the barn, how do I convince grandma to let me plan it out?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)