AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming some $25/acre ground. (Pics )
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

DC4020
Posted 4/25/2015 10:39 (#4536889 - in reply to #4536466)
Subject: RE: Farming some $25/acre ground. (Pics )

Central Ga
Looks very similar to most of mine. Really good ground but rolling. My wife's grandmother owns a farm across the road from my house that her grandfather bought from John Hancock Insurance Company ( I think that's the company) back in the 30s for about $10 an acre. I don't remember why but for some reason around here during that time insurance companies would up owning land.

After reading your post I have contemplated land prices here for the last 20 or so years which is about how long I have been farming. Compared to other areas of the country land here would seem to be a bargain to some. In the mid 90s you could buy good irrigated ground for $900 to $1300 an acre. Today good irrigated ground will bring $4000 to $6000 an acre depending on location, improvements, and competition. To really put things in perspective I can well remember when one year's crop would generate a gross amount per acre roughly equal to the selling price of land. Those days are long gone. Looking back I sometimes regret not buying every acre that I could beg, borrow, or steal the money to buy. However there were times that I wondered if I would be able to pay for what I had. I have read quite a few posts on here about appreciation of farmland values. I have to wonder how much more values can appreciate before it simply will not work to try and buy land. Every situation is different and farmers that have paid for acres are in a much better position to leverage those acres if necessary to buy more land. Farmers with no debt and cash are in an even better position. For me personally, and I have read it on here from others as well, that new land purchases will rarely cash flow on their own. I have had to use other acres that were paid for and rental ground at reasonable rates to help carry the load on new purchases. I guess my point is I think I understand the struggles that young farmers with no personal or family land are facing. With land prices and cash rents what they are today I am thankful I am not a young man starting from scratch. Not saying it can't be done. Only saying IMO the average person does not have what it takes to make it work. Farmers are the most can do people I know and I firmly believe where there is a will there is a way. Just takes hard work, creativity, sacrifice, family commitment, and God's blessings among many other things. My hats off to the many men and women busting their butt to make it happen every day!!!

Edited by DC4020 4/25/2015 10:55
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)