AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ideas for cotton gin festival?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

caleb2684
Posted 4/24/2015 23:22 (#4536212 - in reply to #4535687)
Subject: RE: Ideas for cotton gin festival?

Aggieland
Well, you're a weekend too late. The historic Burton cotton gin festival was last weekend. It is the oldest still running in the same location gin in the U.S. It was built in 1914 and was originally steam powered. In the 20s was converted to a 125hp Bessemer. Later in life it was converted to a 125hp Allis Chalmers electric motor. It is currently driven by he Bessemer again. It is is 5 stand Lummus gin, line shaft driven with a Lummus bale press. It has a museum and a few equipment barns around.

Every year in April (and other times throughout the year) the gin gets fired up and find a few bales of cotton. This year we ginned two very light bales at the festival but two heavy bales as a warm up a month before. There is always a tractor pull, antique car and tractor show. Pie eating contest and live music. It's one of the best family friendly events I've ever been to.

I think the idea is a noble one but I don't know where you'd find the equipment. Not very many wooden stands or presses left of that vintage due to Mother Nature.

I have similar dreams as yours but more of a total ag museum with operational equipment in small batches but not an entire gin. The Bayer Ag museum in Lubbock is very nice and they just added on last year. I think museums are about the only way Ag will ever be able to tell its story to the Nintendo kids we are seeing now days.

Best of luck and keep us posted. If I ever come across some old gin stuff for sale I can let you know. I do know that there is a 1916 Lummus press left in a building near Austin this to believe the museum in burton is going to buy for a spare.

Caleb

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (155KB - 105 downloads)
Attachments (0KB - 73 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (95KB - 91 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (133KB - 99 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (123KB - 98 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (122KB - 94 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (158KB - 95 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (143KB - 94 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (122KB - 90 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (118KB - 97 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)