AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

putting 3/4" plywood on a roof by yourself
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

don@nebr
Posted 4/24/2015 19:23 (#4535701 - in reply to #4535128)
Subject: RE: reasons

reason for 3/4 is the rest of the sheathing is is 1 bye ??? lumber sheathing. The ONLY way would be to tear off whole side of sheathing and all and replacing with 4 X 8 sheets. A little more dangerous working by myself. I pick my weather window and only tear off what I can cover back that day or the next. The 3/4 splices nicely and is same space wise as 1 byes so built on soffits and rake overhang is stronger etc.

Then next problem is when I tear off the rest of the shingles the sheathing lumber was some #5 wood or lumber yard scrap,,,it has holes,knotholes as big as a volley ball and alot of them. Hand nailing they used tin chunks to cover the holes which works but poorly. SO using an air gun have to have semi solid surface to nail too so covering all with 1/2 osb,,,cutting ridge vent across the top and stuffing insulation barrier baffles in the lower rafter bay. THIS will keep shingles from curling and premature death.

As was asked access to back of house is very limited since lot line is about 5 foot behind house. Only front of house access. roof is 4 /12 so not steep. About9- 10 feet to edge from ground.

Thought about using the skid loader but controlling a 4 x 8 heavy sheet in a dirt bucket. My skid bucket sinks so fast. Dealer I bought it from says that it is supposed to but at times I dont like that. Can you put a 1/4 turn valve on bucket tip,,, hydraulic line and use my cylinder stop for the main arms?????What kind of bucket etc would be best for 4 x 8 sheets??? have a manure tine bucket and could slid some pipe on the teeth for length I guess

Thanks for all the posts and info...gives me much to think about.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)