AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alfalfa prices. Caifornia water situation, etc.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jimsonweed
Posted 4/1/2015 14:55 (#4490451)
Subject: Alfalfa prices. Caifornia water situation, etc.

W Texas

SW Ok and parts of TX are in short term and long term exceptional drought. Now California is in the same boat. Dry everywhere, it seems. Sierra Nevada and Colorado snowpack lowest on record right now:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/01/us/california-water-restrictions-drought/

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/03/31/snowpack-lowest-in-colorado-since-deadly-2012-wildfire-season/

Even with low milk prices, what is everyone thinking for new crop hay?

On the southern plains, I am thinking prices will soften slightly with first cutting, then firm back up right away without a big break in the weather pattern. SW Ok will not have a second cutting of creek bottom hay without significant rainfall in the next few weeks. The Rio Grand alfalfa crop is going to be a basket case and a lot of Arizona hay is going to head west this year. That combined with drought in Ok is going to put a premium on any hay that gets to Clovis or TX Panhandle.

In Cali, all bets are off. Milk prices are low, but a lot of dairies have a good balance sheet right now and good prospects for available credit (Central Valley farmland averaging 18k/acre). Alfalfa acres have to go down, and a lot of the acres in alfalfa aren't going to get much water, as the allotment meant for alfalfa is going to be bought by the orchardists to save their trees.

I wonder how the orchard/vineyard guys are going to keep their crops alive through this, much less produce a crop. Any California guys have much insight? I hope and pray they will be able to survive. I like fruit and nuts as much as anyone and would hate to see those huge investments go up in smoke.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)