AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My puff cows
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

puff33m
Posted 3/31/2015 12:27 (#4488400 - in reply to #4488333)
Subject: RE: My puff cows

N FLA
I have the same leg problems here. I have learned to pass on many cows that I just cannot tell in the ring if they may have a limp. A cow that limps completely falls apart here. Other problems seem manageable. More and more I like about a 4-5 month bred cow so you can put the weight on pre calving. Takes a lot better feed to do it after. And the TMR isn't free when you stuff it with high quality ingredients. Other thing I see about the 4-5 month bred puffy cows, they seem to be a soft spot, packers don't want them, because they are low yielding and have a fetus inside them and competitors don't want them, because they need a year of feeding, so they are often a better value on paper than the other classes of cattle, plus I can grow that cow better in my program. Only problem I have is seasonal timing. I need to buy her in May and June for fall calving and its the worst time to buy here/everywhere. They can be bought right in the fall though. Some of my best quality cows were bought that way, I can just do better if I'm willing to make that little longer term commitment than the next day. And now that I have the ball rolling I can.

I haven't had pinkeye problems. What will you do differently for pinkeye? it is one of the easier problems to manage/control? Right?

Edited by puff33m 3/31/2015 13:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)