AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bovi-sheild gold
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cjohnson
Posted 3/31/2015 07:35 (#4487919 - in reply to #4487883)
Subject: RE: Bovi-sheild gold

Athens, TX
Don't want to hijack your thread but I have a similar issue. I have been using Bovishield Gold on my calves in the spring at 60 to 90 days old, then again in the fall at weaning. I raise all my own replacements, so the cows received this as calves. When we work the herd in the spring some of the cows will be short bred (1 to 2 months). My vet said that it is OK to give the Modified Live to the nursing calves since the cows have had it before. My health on the calves is excellent, I have not lost a calf to pneumonia in more than 3 years. However, I have to many cows that don't calve even though they were palpated in the fall as bred that I assume aborted (8 to 10 out of 230). Vet says we may want to consider changing to Cattlemaster or another killed vaccine to help this issue. After thinking this through, if using MLV was causing abortions wouldn't it be early gestation which would cause more 'opens' in the fall, not 'pregnant' in the fall but fail to calve in the spring? Is that the reason you stopped using Bovishield Gold? Do most use MLV or Killed vaccine on nursing calves?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)