AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Video moving cows
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

puff33m
Posted 3/29/2015 08:34 (#4483848)
Subject: Video moving cows

N FLA
You guys that remember when I got this thing started won't believe it if you didn't see it. I can't believe it has worked out this well myself. Some of these were holdovers from last year (Fall 13) when I bought $450 open cows and they bred back so I kept them. The majority were thin bred cows bought in September to November, and a few were poor pairs. Everyday we get closer it looks more like I will have good ryegrass grazing until May 1. I will plant corn then, at this farm. I will split most of the pairs and sell the calves. The cows will move to bahiagrass pastures. I would really like to keep the calves on the cow for 60 days on spring grass, but logistics/manpower/responsibilities. I just can't swing it. My goal was 4wt calves though, and we will be there for most.

A few of the younger calf/pairs will go to a pasture where I have better facilities and we can work calves there this spring. All in all, this operation is like a chess game. Trying to build a better quality, younger, fall calving herd, while maximizing value of everything else, and running enough volume to make it work out in the short run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcWQM465hTo&feature=youtu.be
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)