AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Things to consider when choosing a browser (humor)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Chimel
Posted 3/19/2015 11:31 (#4463811 - in reply to #4463253)
Subject: RE: Things to consider when choosing a browser (humor)

Omar - 3/19/2015 04:47
I've completely lost track of alternatives out there.
I'd be happy with better (or, more obvious) bulk file renaming and default window position/configuration customized by the target folder.

So have I. I think the last alternative file manager I used was Norton Utilities and Norton Commander on MS-DOS in the 80s... ;) It split the screen in 2 vertically for easy source to target file copy operations.
Bulk file renaming would be good indeed, especially those meaningless camera picture names. Even the Command Prompt does not always allow the type of file renaming you want, I often resort to Perl scripts for this task.

By the way, here's a tip if you want your Start menu, Taskbar or Quick Launch shortcut to always open in a specific folder, for instance "d:\data": Right-click the shortcut to edit its properties, and replace the "Target" field with "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n, /e, d:\data". Insert "select, " before the folder name if you don't want to expand the directory tree in the folder left pane, and surround the folder name with double quotes if it contains spaces.

Another tip I mentioned: You can right-click on any folder or drive in Windows 7 to open a Command Prompt window at this specific location. You can have the same feature on Windows XP with a Registry hack. Create the 2 following keys manually, or copy the text below in a new Notepad file saved as "CommandPrompt.reg". Then in Windows Explorer, double-click on this file to import it into your Windows Registry (a kind of system database). You should now have an "Open Command Prompt here" option when right-clicking on any drive or folder in Windows Explorer. Here are the lines to copy to Notepad:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\Command Prompt]
@="Open Command Prompt here"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\Command Prompt\Command]
@="cmd.exe /k pushd %L"

Edited by Chimel 3/19/2015 11:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)