AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

copy or move files from old 98 machine.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Chimel
Posted 3/15/2015 10:54 (#4454869 - in reply to #4454754)
Subject: RE: copy or move files from old 98 machine.

If it boots and run on Windows 98, you just need to connect the network cable to your router and enable file sharing. No need for FTP or any file transfer program, you can just copy files from Windows Explorer. If you have a writable share on your Vista machine, use Windows Explorer to create a mapped drive, basically map a new drive letter such as "E:" to your share such as "\\vistarig\public" and then copy the files from you C: drive to this new E: drive, which will be on the other Vista machine. Although I translated Windows 98 into French, I don't remember how network connections are set up exactly, but if you can't create a share directly on a folder by right-clicking Sharing or Properties, there's probably Network Connections Control Panel where you can set up networking. Windows 98 will recognize by default the workgroup creatively called "WORKGROUP" by Microsoft. I remember that I no less creatively tried to translate it as "GROUPE_DE_TRAVAIL" in Windows 2000, only to break network compatibility in French Windows. Apparently, some French airlines companies were still using workgroups (a kind of small home network) instead of real networks and Active Directory domains, so the new machines were trying to reach the new workgroup name and could not see the machines on "WORKGROUP." Thankfully, the airline was beta-testing Windows 2000, I had time to reverse the name to English before shipping the released version!

If for some reasons the Vista share is not visible, try the reverse, create a readable share on your Win98 machine and try to map this share on your Vista machine. There's always a thousand ways to do the same things in Windows...

The 1000+ page long Windows 98 Resource Kit book contains a few prayers you should recite before enabling networking. If it still does not work, get a USB to IDE/SATA connector to plug your old Win98 hard drive on your Vista machine, you should be able to read it from there. Such a device costs about $15 on newegg.com. It's basically just a cable with the appropriate connectors and a few transistors, and a small transformer to power the IDE or SATA hard drive. If it's an IDE drive, you probably cannot connect it to the Vista machine as Omar says. But that's a great option for any SATA drive, no need for a USB to IDE/SATA kit then, just a second SATA cable.

Edited by Chimel 3/15/2015 10:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)